Gas is banned

donnk

So we wont be able to fit combi's in new builds in a couple years as gas is going to be banned.

Customers are getting more pro-active with new builds (we do decent ones not lego land) and want more/better insulation, materials etc.

So it begs the question instead of heat pumps (air or ground) should we be looking at pellet boilers ?

Dont get me wrong I do like heat pumps, really good for underfloor heating BUT no good for hot water and expensive install.

Anyone have a pellet burner fitted to a typical 4 bed, whats it cost to fit and run ?

We installed a pellet boiler when doing a house extension.  Not part of the same project but slightly separate so as to qualify for 5% VAT on purchase & installation of boiler.  The existing oil boiler was old and unreliable so it made sense to remove / replace.  Whilst established options were cheaper and more easily accessible I wanted to move off oil and there's no mains gas hereabouts.

Was frustrating waiting for the civil servants to roll out the domestic RHI and it was significantly reduced in relation to the original forecasts (lessons learnt from making solar PV too generous) but here we are.  RHI payments alone will total £27k over 7 years.

Annual running costs (for me) is 1 ton pellets per year but I rarely have the central heating on.

No brainer so far as my experience goes.  Can post some pics (and go into more detail) if interested?  

(PS. just in case anyone looks at the figures, 28 x 814 = 22792.  The pellet boiler is also linked to solar thermal panels and they draw a similar RHI which makes it up to +/- £27k)

Screenshot 2019-12-26 at 15.41.09.png

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe

7 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

We installed a pellet boiler when doing a house extension.  Not part of the same project but slightly separate so as to qualify for 5% VAT on purchase & installation of boiler.  The existing oil boiler was old and unreliable so it made sense to remove / replace.  Whilst established options were cheaper and more easily accessible I wanted to move off oil and there's no mains gas hereabouts.

Was frustrating waiting for the civil servants to roll out the domestic RHI and it was significantly reduced in relation to the original forecasts (lessons learnt from making solar PV too generous) but here we are.  RHI payments alone will total £27k over 7 years.

Annual running costs (for me) is 1 ton pellets per year but I rarely have the central heating on.

No brainer so far as my experience goes.  Can post some pics (and go into more detail) if interested?  

Screenshot 2019-12-26 at 15.41.09.png

Am I reading this right, you are getting subsided by the tax payer to heat your home

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Am I reading this right, you are getting subsided by the tax payer to heat your home

I know mate....  If I wasn't so tight, I'd have it running all day, have the windows open and sit here in my pants (like they do on the commercial Tarif in NI) but since the payment comes whether the system is on or off, I'd rather put a jumper on and spend the tax dollars down the pub ?

IMG_3316.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

That's not entirely the best way of looking at it though my old poached egg....

You see, in order for UK Gov to avoid the fines imposed by the EU for failing to reduce carbon output, it was deemed a 'bright idea' to incentivise Joe Sixpack to move off fossil fuels and onto renewables...

So, where as you are viewing the RHI payment as a 'burden' upon the tax payer, I see it more as a community minded self sacrifice on my part, by doing my small part, to help UKPLC avoid incurring fines which would be paid by the tax payer to the EU.  

It's a thing of beauty Egger!

• Like 2