To me, from me, by me

G13469

Cool as , I will have to look out for a cheap gas forge , I do know a blacksmith but he’s a coke head so unfortunately very unreliable, so a question in the image of the knife made from the rasp would that have needed to be heat treated after shaping or not 
Thanks Mark 

Oh and don’t forget to either drill out the handle for pins before you heat treat or don’t heat treat the handle. You will have all sorts of fun trying to drill that if it’s treated. [emoji23]

8 minutes ago, gobbypunk said:

So I am thinking I am going to have to watch some vids annealing !heat treat ,I have obviously watched forged in fire but that don’t teach you much ,annealing is that just heating it up to soften it ,how do you know when it’s done ,sorry it’s all new to me 

Heat to a cheery red and let it cool slowly . DONT quench .

• Thanks 1

Cherry red is a little hot. Your looking for Something like and orange red then simply switch the heat source off. Leave it in the switched off forge which will allow it to cool slowly. I usually switch mine off and just leave it there to the following day. [emoji106]

• Like 1

I think a small gas forge may be on my shopping list now. I think a knife making thread would be useful for us novice's.

You say a farrier's rasp is high carbon steel so a fine but less durable edge. So could any old file be used similarly?

I think a small gas forge may be on my shopping list now. I think a knife making thread would be useful for us novice's.

You say a farrier's rasp is high carbon steel so a fine but less durable edge. So could any old file be used similarly?

Yes mate. Any good quality file could be used. Farriers rasps tend to be high quality and have enough size to make knife blanks without forging.
Readily available too. A local farrier will have bucket loads.
Car boot sales are good for materials. Usually boxes of old tools that can be re purposed and the quality of steel is high on the older stuff.
You can give a rough test of carbon by sticking the tang in a vice and snapping it off. See how it breaks compared to lower carbon steel.
I’ve got some leaf springs set aside for making some timber framing tools with. I fancy making a slick and a draw knife. The hardest part is finding the time to tinker. !