What Have You Brought Yourself For Xmas?

5 shires

13 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

First time out with Chain Morticer, thought we would do something easy to get a feel for it. Lucky not to trash a bloody expensive chain ?

87CFE241-A78E-452C-8455-FAE442A8B4BA.jpeg

78232051-8532-4FD1-A4DF-3C6F9D7DF4AA.jpeg

99DC7B63-4960-4195-ADCE-04EADC79F9CC.jpeg

6471819B-52A7-4353-B83B-6C8338BE4A00.jpeg

That gives a surprisingly clean cut. Did you just miss that threaded rod? 

What make did you go for? I'll be looking to buy one of those in the next year or so. A Mates got a petrol one, but Im not sure he'd be happy lending me it. :D 

2 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

That gives a surprisingly clean cut. Did you just miss that threaded rod? 

What make did you go for? I'll be looking to buy one of those in the next year or so. A Mates got a petrol one, but Im not sure he'd be happy lending me it. :D 

Hi Andy

Makita 7104 110V 

yeah it does a cracking clean cut. Very flattering. We had set out everything previously and marked the position of all steel below the top beam but to be honest I was so focused on using the tool I had a total brain fart ref what was marked up. Missed the threaded rod more by luck than anything else ??. Chains for it are super pricey so very lucky really. Today was only a play with it sort of day and probs a bit over the top for a bit of fence but it looked tidy once done and the lads mrs was well chuffed so happy days. All the timber with the exception of the top beams was milled and dressed by us which in a way is quite satisfying. 

90E80BB3-BB92-4F7B-B382-360BAAD769C2.jpeg

• Like 3

On 31/12/2019 at 15:22, LeeGray said:

Plasma cutter and new mig set, just arrived so no one knows about it! Shhh

B201174A-61E5-4089-97E0-DA8DEF0DE910.jpeg

Good choice. My mig250 has been faultless and the cut 50 good too. Did 12mm stainless no bother last week. 

what models did you go for? 

2 hours ago, harvey b davison said:

Always fancied a chain mortice for working in big timbers, but to be honest, I don't have enough work for one to justify the cost. But it will always be on my wish list.

Not a cheap tool for sure, but I looked for ages for a used one and the costs for those were what ended up convincing me to go new. End of the day I reckon/hope at least 50-60% of the value will be retained if it’s kept in good order. 

9 hours ago, doobin said:

Good choice. My mig250 has been faultless and the cut 50 good too. Did 12mm stainless no bother last week. 

what models did you go for? 

Same mig set but just the 30 cutter. Got a job coming up replacing ag shed legs which are only six mm ub. So hoping it’ll do that clean and save a day of grinding. Never used a freehand little one before so will have to mess about with it a bit first. Any good tips for set up and using?