Complaint about my Wood Burner

3 hours ago, dumper said:

A diary of times and dates when lit and recharged would be a good start maybe some pictures of fuel and a record of moisture content. I know it’s a bit of a pain in the arse, I had same problem although I’m not in a smokeless zone, they even sent videos titled log burner up to log burner 5 (the return). The council spoke about burning waste etc showed my records took a while but environmental health sided with me, nothing they could do and l was within the law, they the tried to take out a private prosecution judge chucked it out. The gentleman concerned was a barrister.

I’m not convinced any barrister should be referred to as a gentleman, the ones I have met are better described as something far ruder...

Unfortunately they don’t have the same escalating cost issue as a layperson to negotiate their point, which often gives their argumentative persuasion free reign to prove themselves ‘righter’.

Twats in general (in my opinion of course!) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, monkeybusiness said:

I’m not convinced any barrister should be referred to as a gentleman, the ones I have met are better described as something far ruder...

Unfortunately they don’t have the same escalating cost issue as a layperson to negotiate their point, which often gives their argumentative persuasion free reign to prove themselves ‘righter’.

Twats in general (in my opinion of course!) 

If I referred to him with the verbs that I would like to on a public forum, I could be had for slander, sexual abuse,deformation of character,threatening  behaviour, and probably much more. 

10 hours ago, dig-dug-dan said:

There actually isn't any action the council can take. You are allowed to burn wood in a woodburner to heat your house. 

I once complained about a not very near neighbour who was burning car tyres in his back garden. The Response I had from the council was that he could burn what he likes on his own property and nothing they could do!

They can take action for emitting " dark smoke" even if not in a smoke control area or using an exempt wood burner.

I can see them not wanting to tackle the issue though as there is a caravan/mobile home park near me that regularly has bonfires containing tyres and plastics.

Environmental health at the LA is more likely to do something than the EA who are scared to take on anything that might have legal costs.

10 hours ago, dig-dug-dan said:

There actually isn't any action the council can take. You are allowed to burn wood in a woodburner to heat your house. 

I once complained about a not very near neighbour who was burning car tyres in his back garden. The Response I had from the council was that he could burn what he likes on his own property and nothing they could do!

This is basically so for a domestic fire unless you cause a lot of smoke.

Commercial premises, including a workshop used for your business  at your home is different and if burning waste (engine oil for example) you will need a permit. untreated wood arising from your working still is waste and requires an exemption from EA. Burning just about any other waste (cardboard for instance) commercially comes under the waste incineration directive and you don't want the expense of running an incinerator.

Cheers for all the replies.

Yes, it did occur to me how they determined/had proof the "smell" was coming from my flue?

It could have been anyone burning something in their own garden & our Wood Burner hadn't been on for almost a week.
We've been a bit lazy this year with a 10 week old boy too...

I am to keen to keep things amicable as I'm in touch with the planning dept & tree officer fairly regularly & keep as good a relationship as I can.

I should've been keeping more evidence of the neighbours unsociable parking to throw things back at them a bit.

3 hours ago, Danny Boy said:

Cheers for all the replies.

Yes, it did occur to me how they determined/had proof the "smell" was coming from my flue?

It could have been anyone burning something in their own garden & our Wood Burner hadn't been on for almost a week.
We've been a bit lazy this year with a 10 week old boy too...

I am to keen to keep things amicable as I'm in touch with the planning dept & tree officer fairly regularly & keep as good a relationship as I can.

I should've been keeping more evidence of the neighbours unsociable parking to throw things back at them a bit.

If the council work to the same practise they will have asked them to fill in a diary about the nuisance, you can request to see it if the complaint persists then match with yours 

they allow for smoke on start up / recharge this is where the diary helps

If the council work to the same practise they will have asked them to fill in a diary about the nuisance, you can request to see it if the complaint persists then match with yours 
they allow for smoke on start up / recharge this is where the diary helps
I see. Nice one [emoji106]