Complaint about my Wood Burner

Had a 2nd visit today from a lady from Environmental Health saying there were 2 complaints about smoke from our flue.

We had the same lady out with another colleague about 6 months ago saying the same.

She said someone's complained about the smell from our wood burner.

We do live on a smokeless zone.

I told her what I told her last time which was:

1) The stove is a DEFRA Exempt stove (a Burley 9104)

2) It was fitted by a HETAS registered fitter.

I did my homework before putting it in as it's a fair investment & wasn't prepared to have it removed on the whim of some complaining arsehole...

She asked what I'd been burning & I replied just normal wood as it's a wood burner as opposed to a multi fuel stove. I said I was a Tree Surgeon & it makes sense for me to do so.

She wouldn't say who the complaints were from but I said it's probably from my 2 next door neighbor's as we've had issues in the past over parking on the street. Basically they think they own the street & constantly take up 2 spaces in their cars so we don't really get along.

I've also just finished building a workshop at the end of the garden & I said there will shortly be an identical Wood Burner going into that. It's single storey with a tall loft.

Interestingly she said there may be some legislation to do with the Clean Air Act that says businesses can't incinerate or burn any of their commercial waste, which technically wood from my work is...

Also the workshop being a relatively low structure might cause a problem.

Anyway, the conversation was friendly & civil & I said I can provide whatever documents she wanted to show it's all above board.

Any thoughts from anyone? Are there any angles I haven't covered?

Cheers in advance.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Danny Boy said:

commercial waste, which technically wood from my work is...

Is it though? Don't give it a legal label if you don't absolutely KNOW that label is correct, especially when doing so might be bad for you.

@kevinjohnsonmbe may be able to help you. He's dealt with similar in uncommon detail.

Give them nothing!

Talk to them never!

Its never a friendly & civil conversation!

It they’ve got no details they can’t use them against you. 

Listen only - don’t engage!

React to what they present - they are not your friend, they will try and fuck you over!

Say nuffin, trust no one!

Im pretty sure that’s Confucian (or Cornish) 

• Like 12
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Give them nothing!

Talk to them never!

Its never a friendly & civil conversation!

It they’ve got no details they can’t use them against you. 

Listen only - don’t engage!

React to what they present - they are not your friend, they will try and fuck you over!

Say nuffin, trust no one!

Im pretty sure that’s Confucian (or Cornish) 

I agree, if you don't feed them they have nothing to use against you. As long as you don't produce smoke and only burn wood (which is best achieved by only burning dry wood with a hot flaming firebox  and not trying to burn overnight) you are not doing anything wrong, the environment agency position statement on virgin wood is that it is outside the waste regulations even though it may be waste under their definition.

To get anywhere they would have to take enforcement action so don't give them ammunition.

• Like 1

[emoji1]
Unfortunately I've always been too friendly & honest with people, sometimes to my detrement...
I'll talk to the Stove manufacturer too & see what unofficial advice they have.
I don't see that I've done anything wrong, apart from stand up to a pair of wanker neighbours over their unsociable parking & now they're probably just trying to stir & be pricks....

• Like 1

I disagree with some of the above statements. I work for an LA and dealt with neighbourly disputes for ten years. It made life considerably easier dealing with people who would engage and usually you would see who was being unfairly targeted quite quickly. Regular complainants/whingers soon became apparent.

• Like 3

Toad,

You been on the greenbuilding forum where a particular individual sounds like the proverbial neighbour from hell, with his incessant complaints about a neighbours burning wood, and choking him with the downdraught.

A proper nutter imho.

P.S.

The "smell", of glorious virgin timber burning cleanly,  hmmm, pushing the boat out with that complaint, 

Edited by difflock

49 minutes ago, difflock said:

Toad,

You been on the greenbuilding forum where a particular individual sounds like the proverbial neighbour from hell, with his incessant complaints about a neighbours burning wood, and choking him with the downdraught.

A proper nutter imho.

No, but I'm sure I've met the type.

When we didn't satisfy one complainant they told my manager that I'd been shagging the neighbour.

• Haha 1