Greenmech quadchip flywheel balancing

Andyd1606

One of the lads from greenmech is on here im Sure in time he will see your post and give you an answer as well he is pretty good and high up at greenmech as well

Thanks they have been a great help before I didn’t want to disturb them too much if they are on the Xmas break.
Out of interest have you had the belts off yours and does it always fall to the bottom then with blades on?

Have you got any round blades to try instead? I think there is a system to allow them to be fitted instead (that you may have with the chipper) - perhaps it’s been balanced with round blades as opposed to the square ones? 

@Jase hutch is your man for this - he is the main technical guru at Greenmech and knows literally every single thing there is to know about them. And is also a bloody decent guy (but is hopefully having some well deserved time off!). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andyd1606 said:

Thanks they have been a great help before I didn’t want to disturb them too much if they are on the Xmas break.
Out of interest have you had the belts off yours and does it always fall to the bottom then with blades on?

Have you tried weighing each blade and then repositioning them?

They would normally go on as matched sets and the manual give minimum diameter and weight blades can be sharpened to. Fitting disc blades which are only slightly undersized caused slivers and chute jamming plus me to fall out with a dealer in North Wales.

8 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

Have you got any round blades to try instead? I think there is a system to allow them to be fitted instead (that you may have with the chipper) - perhaps it’s been balanced with round blades as opposed to the square ones? 

@Jase hutch is your man for this - he is the main technical guru at Greenmech and knows literally every single thing there is to know about them. And is also a bloody decent guy (but is hopefully having some well deserved time off!). 

This man is almost spot on...

Do you have a set of disc blades you can bolt on to try ?

I'm almost 100% sure all the Quad flywheels are now balanced with disc blades on unless specified that square blades were fitted and the square blades from memory are heavier than disc blades which typically leave the factory somewhere between 620-650g.

From memory , which is bad , in the days when we were shipping Quads out with square blades , they were supplied with a kit just in case you wanted to fit disc blades and this included longer bolts and machined weights that were added to the bolt.

I can maybe speak to one of the lads that does the balancing later on today to confirm this and get back to you.

If you don't have a set of disc blades , where abouts are you based ?

Disc blades are the best option anyway in my opinion..

Jase.

This man is almost spot on...
Do you have a set of disc blades you can bolt on to try ?
I'm almost 100% sure all the Quad flywheels are now balanced with disc blades on unless specified that square blades were fitted and the square blades from memory are heavier than disc blades which typically leave the factory somewhere between 620-650g.
From memory , which is bad , in the days when we were shipping Quads out with square blades , they were supplied with a kit just in case you wanted to fit disc blades and this included longer bolts and machined weights that were added to the bolt.
I can maybe speak to one of the lads that does the balancing later on today to confirm this and get back to you.
If you don't have a set of disc blades , where abouts are you based ?
Disc blades are the best option anyway in my opinion..
Jase.

Thanks for the reply jase I do have disc blades although they do have some wear on.
When I bought the machine it was running on square blades but one of the blade pockets became damaged so I went over to disc blades on the advice of green mech to save having to repair the pocket at the time.
Since the flywheel had been reconditioned I thought I’d go back to square as they seemed to have a greater cutting edge therefore would be more efficient.
I’m happy to stick with disc blades if you think this is the best option for the machine.
If you can confirm with someone who does the balancing that would be great and much appreciated especially being the Xmas holidays.
  • Like 1

I have just messaged Jimmy , he is on the balancer some of the time but also does flywheel refurbs,  hopefully he will get back to me soon.

With regards to the disc blades , we have always felt that due to the way they cut through the brash , they are kinder on everything in the driveline,  especially the flywheel bearings.

Maybe PeteB can remember these kits that were supplied with Mk1 Quads for customers that wanted to switch from square to round cutters ??

Jase.