Greenmech quadchip flywheel balancing

Andyd1606

Evening all I have a feeling that Greenmech are now closed for Christmas so thought I’d ask the question on here.

Just had the flywheel on my 2010 quadchip reconditioned by Greenmech and a new shaft. They have repaired the blade pockets and some other damage and balanced it.

I’ve put the flywheel in with new bearings and when the blades are added the balance on the flywheel is completely out.

The outer blade causes the flywheel to settle at the bottom every time.

Does anyone know if they should have balanced it with the blades on or without? I’m a bit concerned that with the blades on it’s going to be unbalanced and rattle itself to pieces. Without the blades the flywheel seems balanced.

From previous experience on balancing flywheels normally on other machinery they should be perfectly balanced and sit where they finally stop not the lowest point every time even with blades on.

I can’t speak with Greenmech now and need to get the machine up and running so was after some advise. Hope this makes sense thanks

Are the blades new, if not is the wear equal?

There not new blades I do have a new set on order but don’t think they will be here before Xmas. The wear on both old ones is fairly even and I’ve tried swapping them around both ways with the same result.
It’s the speed it drops round to the bottom of the flywheel that concerns me and just seems to be due to the outer leading blade forcing the wheel around.

I would have thought if it’s turns like perpetual motion without the blades, it’s ok.

What sort of blades are they?

They are the square Greenmech blades. It runs nicely without them new bearings and new shaft and seems balanced nicely.
My only previous experience is balancing on car flywheels but I would have thought that even with blades it should run evenly and not stop at the heaviest point. It seems that would create an unbalanced rotation when running at speed

Thinking about it, it’s inevitable that it’ll sit in one of two positions with the blades in place.

If you’ve reached that stage of rebuilding, I’d slip the belts on and run it up, you’ll soon know if there’s a real issue.

Just my opinion, don’t  send me the bill!

On my quadchip ive got round blades and when they are off the flywheel runs well but does the same when blades are on as yours and mine is straight from greenmech this year if thats any help

Ok that’s interesting it’s not just mine that does that then maybe that’s how they run. I was just concerned about this putting extra wear on the shaft and bearings. Maybe I’m over thinking the engineering behind it?

Thinking about it, it’s inevitable that it’ll sit in one of two positions with the blades in place.

If you’ve reached that stage of rebuilding, I’d slip the belts on and run it up, you’ll soon know if there’s a real issue.

Just my opinion, don’t  send me the bill!

I think I’ll do that tomorrow the last thing I wanted was for it to rattle it’s self to bits when I turned it on.
I’ll send the bill addressed to you Mick Dempsey somewhere in France!
  • Thanks 1