Twin Rope Hazard (Self Rescue)

scotspine1

7 minutes ago, scotspine1 said:

.....independently anchored lines or two independently acting lines. When SRT is used, the system must comprise two independently anchored lines and may only utilise a single line where the use of the second line that entails higher risk*

Am I correct that the issue is mainly for SRT users then?

The impression I was starting to get was that all arb work would require  a climber to be attached to 2 ropes long enough to fully descend on.

8 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Any suggestions?

Yea a job in Greggs fr new year, much safer an a staff discount.....

( I am sorely tempted ) k

Edited by Khriss
Fuck me I am so sick of getting this over to our company
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, scotspine1 said:

Anyone setting out to work in the tree using a twin line system needs to be aware of a potentially dangerous situation which could arise from using twin lines. 

Example -

A climber accidently cuts himself high up in the tree. He still has the ability to self rescue and descend out of the tree to seek urgent emergency first aid. 

As the bleeding climber descends - the trailing ends of his twin lines become entangled beneath him midway through the descent severely restricting his progress to the ground, trapping him at this point. 

In this scenario the climber could bleed out. 

Still struggling here.

Was this an SRT scenario?

If so, I don’t see how the rope ends get so tangled if they are bagged properly - ok, a bit may pay out as you move about the canopy, but surely it is going to be that much.

....and even if your rope ends do get tangled as you descend, is it that much of a big deal if you are descending down a static line?

Sorry if I am missing something obvious.

30 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Am I correct that the issue is mainly for SRT users then?

The impression I was starting to get was that all arb work would require  a climber to be attached to 2 ropes long enough to fully descend on.

Cos not us SRT boys as that would be a complete arse an defeat the whole point of SRT as an ergonomic non-faff easy way of getting up a fucking tree to do some work on it........K

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Khriss said:

Cos not us SRT boys as that would be a complete arse an defeat the whole point of SRT as an ergonomic non-faff easy way of getting up a fucking tree to do some work on it........K

The irony of the term SRT was not missed on me.

Anyway, having read the ICOP draft, I’m off to dust off the scaffold tower from the back of the workshop.   I TOLD them it was going to be useful one day.

’ere,@Khriss, you know your stuff.

How do I plan for an adequate rescue from an arbori-scaffolding tower system? 

2 minutes ago, Bolt said:

The irony of the term SRT was not missed on me.

Anyway, having read the ICOP draft, I’m off to dust off the scaffold tower from the back of the workshop.   I TOLD them it was going to be useful one day.

’ere,@Khriss, you know your stuff.

How do I plan for an adequate rescue from an arbori-scaffolding tower system? 

You don't - you post in on Facebook an make a mint  on the clicks on yr hilarious misfortune, possibly including dachshunds an yr poor choice of arb t shirt. ?

• Thanks 1