Twin Rope Hazard (Self Rescue)

scotspine1

1 hour ago, Bolt said:

The section 2.4.7 of the ICOP as I read it requires me to incorporate a suitable back-up which the user must be connected to. 

They want the back up second rope to be long enough to descend to the ground with your main line from any point in the tree regardless of wether it's a DdRT/MRT or SRT system. Your long rope/shorter rope(+lanyard) method wouldn't meet the requirements of the legislation. 

The HSE want treeclimbers/arb to move into the same system as IRATA/Industrial Rope Access. Two full length ropes at all times from the ground up to the final descent plus a lanyard for change overs ('3 viable systems').

Your long rope/shorter rope(+lanyard) method wouldn't meet the requirements of the legislation. 

@scotspine1

Which bit of legislation states that I need two  lines at all times from the ground up to the final descent?

They seem to have missed it out of the draft ICOP, which is rather remiss of them!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Which bit of legislation states that I need two  lines at all times from the ground up to the final descent? They seem to have missed it out of the draft ICOP, which is rather remiss of them!

They haven't. It's there in the draft. 

'Two personal fall protection systems installed over two independent load-bearing anchors must be the preferred method of working at all times.'

2 minutes ago, scotspine1 said:

They haven't. It's there in the draft. 

'Two personal fall protection systems installed over two independent load-bearing anchors must be the preferred method of working at all times.'

Cool.

My long rope / short rope / lanyard system  works within that perfectly.

No prison soap-on-a-rope for me.

2 hours ago, Jake Andrews said:

So in an emergency (let’s say cut arm) your going to rely on changeovers to the ground instead of a long rope to take you to the ground?

I cut my arm AND my main line.  Jeeez, not having a great day am I, what a dullard.

Anyway, our industry’s solution is to have a trained and equipped aerial rescuer on site, who is competent and able to perform an immediate and effective aerial rescue.

For you, that is suddenly not good enough, so the situation is for the overhyped 2-long-ropes-to-the-ground-system that you proposed so that.....

I can cut my arm

AND

I can cut the end off my first long rope

BUT

as long as my second long rope is miraculously fully intact and operational, and I can simply use that to breeze effortlessly to the ground in time for tea and medals.   What a guy

?

Edited by Bolt
You just can’t compose a reply when you are in Tesco
  • Like 1