Let's see your twin rope system..

Bing!

All looks very professional lumberjack but if you don’t mind me saying very much over kill for that particular job...and i mirror what Mick said...I would have thrown a line over the branch you are anchored onto and pulled a small rigging or old climbing rope over it with a spring carabiner on the end,wrapped round limb  were you are standing and pulled rope right so the biner runs up and holds tight against the limb and used a pole saw to make a small cut till the limb starts to fall and then pull in..not knocking how you have done it and great double rope set up but as they say there are many ways to skin a cat and I reckon you could have saved yourself a couple of hours.

45A483F0-AACA-4884-A547-E0E3D841ECFA.jpg
Thanks for the comments, but you really can’t get a proper feel for the job with a glance at a photo.
The client really didn’t want us near the spillway due to the fast flowing water and this was our mitigation measure. Your method would have worked had I just been removing the one limb (lowest arrow) but I had to remove the rest of the tree (other arrow) and the tree behind (red circle).
I also had to put the lowering line in an adjacent tree to ensure the debris swing into the bank.
For me, yes it’s about looking professional but we’re not afraid of getting the work done quickly and safely. If we can avoid W@H then we will, this method suited our client at the time.
My point of the post was to show two rope working on an actual scenario in a tree as the thread is for[emoji106]

So, here’s what we’ve recently been playing with as a company. We had an aerial rescue day to decide on what protocols we would deploy on site for what scenarios. We decided that we will now place rescue lines into every tree we work on or for short duration tasks unless it is unsafe to do so and so written out of the RA (sound familiar!). This is something we felt needed to happen as it takes far to long for a climber to get his gear on and get up the tree free climbing or spiking.
Here’s one of the ways we stow our ropes to distinguish between working ropes and rescue/access rope.
In the bag, a system is pre installed on the rope ready to go. Also in the bag is everything we need to climb such as chest harness and foot ascenders. This means that in an emergency, we literally only need to put on a harness and race up the tree.
The bag is hand made to order and only £40.
At the moment, the system is working for us well and again, I think it’s sets out a decent image to the client.
3e3c641c-6833-4f8d-b523-c5034dd9257d.jpg
ec6b9e99-a033-43b0-80aa-62894cbbf56b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jake Andrews said:

45A483F0-AACA-4884-A547-E0E3D841ECFA.jpg
Thanks for the comments, but you really can’t get a proper feel for the job with a glance at a photo.
The client really didn’t want us near the spillway due to the fast flowing water and this was our mitigation measure. Your method would have worked had I just been removing the one limb (lowest arrow) but I had to remove the rest of the tree (other arrow) and the tree behind (red circle).
I also had to put the lowering line in an adjacent tree to ensure the debris swing into the bank.
For me, yes it’s about looking professional but we’re not afraid of getting the work done quickly and safely. If we can avoid W@H then we will, this method suited our client at the time.
My point of the post was to show two rope working on an actual scenario in a tree as the thread is foremoji106.png

Totally get what your saying lumberjack and I wasn’t trying to be funny or say anything negative about how you were removing that limb,and I gathered that you were taking the whole limb back to the main stem the,perhaps I should have worded and described my comment in a better way and should have added that obviously remove the limb in sections by the method I would use...and yes as I asid I like your 2 working rope set up I didn’t mean to derail the thread..so apologies if it sounded like I did.?

• Like 1

We climbed one today,  big Oak, 2Rope, not really a bother, just groundsman had to pay more attention to ropes, suggested to him he install his rescue line in, so climber could swap to it as he moved around the crown- big petrea, seemed to work ok and as a rescue line was already up there, thought we were hitting the mark  ( sliding Bridge on a ball squeezer harness ! ) but it all worked out well.  

• Like 1

Totally get what your saying lumberjack and I wasn’t trying to be funny or say anything negative about how you were removing that limb,and I gathered that you were taking the whole limb back to the main stem the,perhaps I should have worded and described my comment in a better way and should have added that obviously remove the limb in sections by the method I would use...and yes as I asid I like your 2 working rope set up I didn’t mean to derail the thread..so apologies if it sounded like I did.[emoji108]

No need to apologise. Just letting you know my perspective of the job as we planned it. We all look at photos of others jobs and think............ why the hell are they doing ‘x’ when they could’ve done ‘z’.
There are many ways to skin a cat.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jake Andrews said:

So, here’s what we’ve recently been playing with as a company. We had an aerial rescue day to decide on what protocols we would deploy on site for what scenarios. We decided that we will now place rescue lines into every tree we work on or for short duration tasks unless it is unsafe to do so and so written out of the RA (sound familiar!). This is something we felt needed to happen as it takes far to long for a climber to get his gear on and get up the tree free climbing or spiking.
Here’s one of the ways we stow our ropes to distinguish between working ropes and rescue/access rope.
In the bag, a system is pre installed on the rope ready to go. Also in the bag is everything we need to climb such as chest harness and foot ascenders. This means that in an emergency, we literally only need to put on a harness and race up the tree.
The bag is hand made to order and only £40.
At the moment, the system is working for us well and again, I think it’s sets out a decent image to the client.
3e3c641c-6833-4f8d-b523-c5034dd9257d.jpg
ec6b9e99-a033-43b0-80aa-62894cbbf56b.jpg

it looks a bit vunerable like that at the base of the tree.... but maybe you have a bit more control over where stuff lands than me! :)

good to be thinking about rescue plans etc.

do your clients notice stuff like that??

• Like 1

it looks a bit vunerable like that at the base of the tree.... but maybe you have a bit more control over where stuff lands than me! [emoji4]
good to be thinking about rescue plans etc.
do your clients notice stuff like that??

Yes it could be but depends on the task. In this instance we were removing large deadwood and so not a lot of debris was falling.
We don’t have to have it tied up and can leave it dangling which enables pieces to ricochet off if you get what I mean rather than directly hitting.

We get customers ask us about the rescue kit. In my mind, we’ve left a job with a more educated client that might expect others to also have a rescue line, this hopefully leaving a good lasting impression. But on the main, it hopefully means we are quicker to react if needed.
  • Like 3

• 9 months later...

I have 2 issues with 2 rope working which was proven to me while working with it this week.

2 separate lines attached separately to bridge will at some points come together and rub against eachother. Causing one system to push open a karabiner gate accidentally. This happened to me this week. Luckily I noticed it before it detached itself from my bridge.

So I thought, I should get a swivel attachment which both systems can clip into which can keep them separate like a Notch Rook for example. But then  is there any safety issues with having both systems connected to bridge at the same point? What if the swivel fails? Then both systems are buggered.

Any helpful thoughts on this out there?

I have 2 issues with 2 rope working which was proven to me while working with it this week.
2 separate lines attached separately to bridge will at some points come together and rub against eachother. Causing one system to push open a karabiner gate accidentally. This happened to me this week. Luckily I noticed it before it detached itself from my bridge.
So I thought, I should get a swivel attachment which both systems can clip into which can keep them separate like a Notch Rook for example. But then  is there any safety issues with having both systems connected to bridge at the same point? What if the swivel fails? Then both systems are buggered.
Any helpful thoughts on this out there?

Double bridges is the way forward , like you noted it’s pointless if one bridge fails.. I find SRT and two swivels or I have been mostly using one srt and one normal hitch climber system on a shorter rope for small trees although with working ddrt seems a ball ache with swivels as the rope will hockle ...not too bad if the ropes shorter as the twists are easy to get out but it won’t be compliant if both systems won’t get you to the ground.
  • Like 1

I use this for my twin rope. It's a camp gyro. I have a Treemotion Evo but I found if you have an anchor tied into a ring on each rope bridge then they can have a habit of pulling apart if you have a bit of distance between your two anchors. So you can't rotate or roll on the rope bridge. I have a ring on the second bridge which I sometimes use to create a third anchor with my positional strop on some awkward cuts or when I need to move in from a branch and don't want to pendulum slam into the trunk. 

The rope bridge and camp gyro is part of my daily kit inspection where I anally check them. The camp gyro is all stainless steel and it's a hardy bit of kit. The way that I see it the only way that I will fall is if I cut my rope bridge with a chainsaw. Even then I would be tied in with a positional strop. If I manage to cut both the rope bridge and the positional strop in one go like that then I must be doing something dumb and I deserve to fall out the tree... 

DSC_0217.JPG

• Like 1