Let's see your twin rope system..

Bing!

6 hours ago, TIMON said:

I refuse to take part in this thread on principle.

Well I wasn't going to butt in as I never was much of a climber, always used DDRT, never progressed further than a petzl shunt instead of a prussic knot and have been out of it for 20 years, though I did  a bit 8 years ago.

However it struck me what the HSE was after was a self tending belay/fall arrest system rather than arsing about with two duplicate climbing ropes.

Now over on UKTreecare Bill Anderson, who seems to have a common sense approach to most things,  said much the same a week ago, and suggested using a eddy current braking device which is apparently in use for climbing walls.

As long as the two anchor points aren't too far apart horizontally the safety line could be  redirected to be coincident with the climbing line thereafter.

HSE seem concerned about a line being cut, so perhaps the attachment to the chest harness part needs be cut resistant, or perhaps the fall arrest line be a wire.

Spring recoil isn't going to work over a 30metre plus range so it will need to be an active system.

Some thought will need to be given to mounting and retrieving the belay, same as SRT if it is mounted at the base of the tree it will double the load on the top anchor point.

BTW I'm no fan of the AA or any other club that tries to establish restrictive practices to favour members but see no point in attacking them over this sledgehammer attempt to crack a small nut.

• 2 weeks later...

3ad1a131-6d8c-4f1e-a70e-f0e5a932b256.jpg

I had to remove this ash tree over a reservoir spillway yesterday. The tree was suppressed so no high anchor point. I used a taller Alder from behind (with the lowering bollard on) as an anchor for both ropes and the rigging block. My anchor points chosen were two cambium savers block knotted for srt use. I then traversed over to the ash via the Captain Hook and installed a static redirect for only one line. This then allowed me some triangulation to move around the canopy. Definitely took longer in the set up time but not to bad. Overall was around 3.5 hours from set up to leaving site.

3bd8291e-9203-421b-9f62-95fb4189ac65.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jake Andrews said:

3ad1a131-6d8c-4f1e-a70e-f0e5a932b256.jpg

I had to remove this ash tree over a reservoir spillway yesterday. The tree was suppressed so no high anchor point. I used a taller Alder from behind (with the lowering bollard on) as an anchor for both ropes and the rigging block. My anchor points chosen were two cambium savers block knotted for srt use. I then traversed over to the ash via the Captain Hook and installed a static redirect for only one line. This then allowed me some triangulation to move around the canopy. Definitely took longer in the set up time but not to bad. Overall was around 3.5 hours from set up to leaving site.

3bd8291e-9203-421b-9f62-95fb4189ac65.jpg

Out of curiosity, could you not have used a polesaw on that branch?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Out of curiosity, could you not have used a polesaw on that branch?

Yes.
But it was approx 6m out from the waters edge so our MS stated we would rig it back in to the bank to avoid our operators entering the water.

Also, there was a lot more tree to remove than just this branch which was too high to remove with a pole saw.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Used 2srt on this ash removal yesterday adjacent the A39 in Somerset. 

One line was tied to the stem via running bowline.

The other anchor was a Snake Anchor. also attached to the snake anchor i pre-set a rescue/access line (orange rope) as my groundy only runs on MRT. Worked well as the Snake Anchor is rated for 2 persons loading so will work i this configuration and no rope tangles had which was good.

ECDBA0E6-FDA4-437D-A69E-66FC6A23C019.jpeg

• Like 3

This may help someone hopefully, in light of the whole "backup" talk...

The hitches are a strange mix of the bowline and the Vt.. i'm going with 'BT'.

They can be used single leg or the systems split apart and utilised in a more conventional two leg hitch. I find when they are joined together on the one carabiner I can operate both one handed easily enough.

IMG_7091.JPG

6E167786-2E5D-4540-961E-E2882CED3EC1.JPG

• Like 1