Let's see your twin rope system..

Bing!

So that system looks okay, and also a bit nuts.

ive had a lot of discussion with other experienced climbers round me and it’s thrown up some thoughts....

mainly throwing up a SRT system to ascend. Having a further higher anchor with a DRT system to work off. Detached from the SRT line. That’s sensible, though not always practical. 

there’s actually quite a lot of scope to try some new things too. Descend specific boot lace thin lines and descenders from the IRATA boys, could help tick boxes and may be fun to bomb out the tree with at break. 

learn, try new things

the crux of it is, whatever any gov body states, is the situation day to day is individual. When ropes everywhere are going to be a Greater hazard than a aid, then you do what’s appropriate. And in a court of law, with a expert witness cross examining you, I’m sure it’ll be seen that you’ve done everything you reasonably can to work safely. 

so don’t sweat it too much. There’s no icop, the trainers/assessors yet don’t know what to reasonable train. If your a good operator then you know what’s reasonable, right and safe. 

make sure your Site Specific Risky has some extra boxes. Actually mabye start filling them out! 

• Like 5

On 28/12/2019 at 10:36, Bsco85 said:

make sure your Site Specific Risky has some extra boxes. Actually mabye start filling them out! 

Spot on. The amount of guys I’ve worked with that have never signed or filled out a RA before starting work is mad. Also when you see the state of some of the kit people are happy to climb on it is truly worrying, there are SO many things the AA could be concentrating on to make our industry safer, rather than adding complications to an area that doesn’t need it ?‍♂️ Hopefully 2020 will bring some better understanding of how to create a safer work environment for everyone

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

It isn't work, and nor is it required in the ISA TCC rule book. So no. Although knowing the AA some clueless numpty will no doubt try and push for it.

But traditional climbing comps (not red bull or similar) were supposed to display and support good working practices.  Kit has to pass LOLER in the UK.  So I wouldnt be surprised if it was brought in.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

But traditional climbing comps (not red bull or similar) were supposed to display and support good working practices.  Kit has to pass LOLER in the UK.  So I wouldnt be surprised if it was brought in.

There's talk of the UK hosting the Euros next year. Zero chance they'd get everyone climbing on two systems there. At which point surely they've set a precedent? 

Also given there's no saws being used so severing a line is impossible, I think it's probably ok...

Some prick in the AA will think otherwise though...

• Like 3