Make The BBC a TV subscription (pay as you go) channel

Baldbloke

No, they would have to prove that you had been watching live broadcasts in order to prosecute. I have a tv, no license, I subscribe to Netflix, watch it rarely, I cannot be prosecuted unless I watch live broadcasts or BBC Iplayer, this is correct and the TV licence guy who got told to f**k off when he knocked agreed. 

Ok, I stand corrected.

I’m presuming the 200,000 a year that get prosecuted for not having a licence don’t try that excuse too?

This seems the best link to what’s allowed without a licence. It may surprise some...

Your no licence declaration expires after 2 years by the way

4150.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=85&auto=format&fit=crop&overlay-align=bottom%2Cleft&overlay-width=100p&overlay-base64=L2ltZy9zdGF0aWMvb3ZlcmxheXMvdGctZGVmYXVsdC5wbmc&s=f74d31d57ac5b1312aa45023db0804bf

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM
Steve doesn’t watch TV and wants to stop paying the UK licence fee, but now it applies to smartphones, consoles and the BBC iPlayer app on all devices

I now wish I'd kept my correspondence with the licensing bods. A mate moved in with his girlfriend when I'd moved out from mine, I rented his flat with everything left in. Radio 4 addict here, never been keen on the telly so unplugged the box from the mains and the aerial. Got the standard letter.... replied apparatus here but not in use. After several repeat letters emphasising that in their experience people always watch the box they sent in the inspector. At the time I was a bit busy establishing a new business so was out early and back late. Because I didn't feel able to take whole days off to give them a chance of catching me watching the box they embarked on applying to the courts to be able to force entry to catch me watching the box. In the end it was only my suggestion that the harassment I was receiving would interest radio 4 that they backed off. It would probably have cost me less to have bought a license to not watch telly. 

I'm just glad we don't need a license to have an iron as I didn't use that either ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Baldbloke said:

Ok, I stand corrected.

I’m presuming the 200,000 a year that get prosecuted for not having a licence don’t try that excuse too?

This seems the best link to what’s allowed without a licence. It may surprise some...

Your no licence declaration expires after 2 years by the way

4150.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=85&auto=format&fit=crop&overlay-align=bottom%2Cleft&overlay-width=100p&overlay-base64=L2ltZy9zdGF0aWMvb3ZlcmxheXMvdGctZGVmYXVsdC5wbmc&s=f74d31d57ac5b1312aa45023db0804bf

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Steve doesn’t watch TV and wants to stop paying the UK licence fee, but now it applies to smartphones, consoles and the BBC iPlayer app on all devices

If I go into the BBC Iplayer app on my TV it will ask me to declare that I have a TV license and put in the license code.

• Like 1

About 17 years ago we had relatively recently moved in to a terraced house where the front door opened immediately into the living room. One dark Friday night there was a knock on the door - I opened it to a TV licence enforcer who could see (and no doubt hear in the street before I opened the door) Top of the Pops blaring out of our massive 32" old--school cathode tube telly...

Difficult to swerve that one - bang--to-rights I think the term is!!!

Several years ago we had a tv inspector knock on the door.
Tvi: our records show you don't have a tv license.
Me: I can't help you.
Tvi: I need to inspect your television.
Tvi (getting angry): I'll come back with the police!
Tvi(getting very red and angry): you can't watch tv without a licence!
Me (grinning): I can't help you.
Tvi(frothing) You...you...
I'm going to get the police!!!
Tvi wanders away gesticulating and mumbling.
I'd love to have seen his face later when he realised we already had a tv license.
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji106]

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You should have a TV licence if You want to watch ANY live tv. Now, live rv doesn't just mean events that are been broadcast live right now in the present, but also any pre-record program that is scheduled to be played at a certain time on a certain day. You also need a TV licence if you plan on watching any catch up tv, iPlayer, 4 on demand etc. or even want to stream tv shows through a games console, Netflix, Now tv and so on.

If you mainly watch movies through the likes of Netflix, Now tv and Amazon you won't need a TV licence but you will get letters through from the BBC threatening you with court action and even possibly people comming around to your house!

I don't watch tv and my.partner rarely watches 'Live' tv either but for £13 a month it's not worth the hassle cancelling it.