Falteimer folding cube - fibreglass leg replacement?

arborlicious

I'll definitely be buying another one. Given how long this one lasted (+ 10 years) must make it one of the best value arborist purchases around. Used almost every work day.

Pics below of the break in the side (propped up with a stick on the inside for show.) The cube is still usable but annoying. Fibreglass rod had already worn a hole in the bottom corner but I had to unpick the stitching in the top corner to expose the other end (second pic.)

The fibreglass rod is a tight fit so will need to get the exact size - looks about 2mm. Cut to length, push it through and put some of that hard setting putty–sugru–on each end.

IMG-0806.thumb.JPG.b96c9f1f0b7c4b31fd4349b0e58175f6.JPGIMG-0808.thumb.JPG.9237dae82ff0ae226de50d70e012718d.JPG

• Like 1

Can't find the vernier caliper but the fibreglass rod is closer to 3mm not the 2mm I mentioned above. Found some online for $1.99 for 1m - used for repairing kites. I'll have to visit their retail side to save the $9 delivery...but that's a $2.50 train ride to the city...hopefully raining and not burning in Australia on Boxing day.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed the throw bag yesterday using 3mm fibreglass rod . Steps to repeat in case you need do the same:

1. Unpick top/bottom sewn corners so that broken leg can be removed.
  2. Pull out broke leg from top and bottom making sure to save the plastic end caps.
  3. Cut new 3mm fibreglass rod to ~420mm. I used loppers - see picture below
  4. Insert new rod into side of throw cube.
  5. Use superglue or similar to stick the old end caps back on.
  6. Fold the fabric back over in the corner and you're ready for action

I did not bother re-stitching the corner since the end caps are glued this should stop the leg from sliding out.

Thank-you Falteimer for making a great repairable product.

IMG_0009.jpg.832ad07dbe55b2b6df9660838c01f38d.jpgIMG_0011.jpg.880ac11efc9638ee34aae4b98cdf501b.jpgIMG_0015.jpg.51e5746cb6db67d1b3016dd77b231f0f.jpg

• Like 4

Some further tips after repairing a colleagues Falteimer throw cube. This one had the leg broken close to the bottom corner–about 75mm from the corner–so I thought to try the repair by doing everything from that corner rather than opening the top corner as well.

Managed to pull out the old leg using vise grips while milking the fabric. But when trying to insert the new bit of fibreglass it would not go in because there was still a coil of the old leg remaining inside the fabric. I had to use a small piece of wire to fish out the end of the coil and pull it out gently–see the pic below. This also explains the difficulty in removing the old leg.

I still have another 1m of fibreglass that will no doubt get lost before needing to repair another cube.

IMG_0029.thumb.JPG.af38229077e3bc2df9b80ac42d2fad80.JPG

• Like 2