What is it about the NHS????

Squaredy

1 minute ago, Squaredy said:

Yes indeed, GPs are self employed businesses and have never been NHS employees.  So they are all private already.

Indeed, most doctors were apposed to the NHS at it's inception. Bevin said he had to "stuff their mouths with gold" to get them onboard.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, scraggs said:

Our local main hospital is a disaster area, even the staff think it's going into melt down, there is so much building going on in the area, along with people having more health issues that it truly is bogged down, they have no room to expand because they sold a lot of their future expansion land for building, but they have room to have an M&S and Costa put in.
We waited over 8 hours for an ambulance for my mum, my friends dad just broke his hip and he waited 5 hours for an ambulance,  go in on foot and you are in for a hell of a wait.
however we have 2 local hospitals with minor injuries units and they are absolutely superb, I had a piece taken out of my eye earlier this year and was in and out in 30 minutes, but the powers that be have been trying to shut them for years to save money, they actually need more people to use them to warrant them keeping them open.
The local private hospital now takes on a lot of NHS paid patients, and the quality of that hospital is slowly sliding.
We need education on diet and lifestyle, a health tax on fast food outlets, and a stop to some of the operations that are not essential or even necesary, a large proportion of the population are eating themselves into poor health, and that is putting a huge burdon on the NHS.
We also have doctors prescribing drugs that really aren't necessary and they need re educating about it, the NHS keep going on about antibiotic over use, but people can't get them unless a doctor prescribes them.
That said I had a new medical procedure (guinea pig) done a couple of years ago and couldn't fault the service I got.
I think a lot depends on how busy they are at the time.

I presume this is Colchester General?, if so it's been on the slide for the last 10+ to my knowledge, I was raced in there one Saturday night under blues n twos, it was awful, not just the fact it was full of drunks and smack heads but the level of care was apauling, in the end I got raced into Univerity College in London. Again I'm presuming the private hospital you are talking about is The Oaks, if so both me and Karen were treated there and I couldn't find anything wrong with the place.

I had surgery at the West Suffolk under local anaesthetic one Saturday Morning. Appointment was 07:45, I was through pre op, operated on and out the door before 10:00, couldn't fault it.

40 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

I presume this is Colchester General?, if so it's been on the slide for the last 10+ to my knowledge, I was raced in there one Saturday night under blues n twos, it was awful, not just the fact it was full of drunks and smack heads but the level of care was apauling, in the end I got raced into Univerity College in London. Again I'm presuming the private hospital you are talking about is The Oaks, if so both me and Karen were treated there and I couldn't find anything wrong with the place.

I had surgery at the West Suffolk under local anaesthetic one Saturday Morning. Appointment was 07:45, I was through pre op, operated on and out the door before 10:00, couldn't fault it.

Yes mate it is the general, They tried to send Mum home at 2am out of her head on Morphine because the doctor said she wasn't in pain, err I wonder why, after an argument with him they got another doctor who sent her for X-ray and scan and then put her on a ward.
I have the Oaks to thank for the infection that nearly killed me , consultant was as arrogant as hell, as well as other things, Last time I spoke to them they had a longer waiting list for a ultrasound than the General, We use Nuffield now, who done the ultrasound the next morning, they don't take any NHS work.
West Suffolk is one of the best hospitals in the country, you are lucky being able to use that, could they not have taken you to there instead of Colchester, can't be a lot in it?

Edited by scraggs

10 minutes ago, scraggs said:

Yes mate it is the general, They tried to send Mum home at 2am out of her head on Morphine because the doctor said she wasn't in pain, err I wonder why, after an argument with him they got another doctor who sent her for X-ray and scan and then put her on a ward.
I have the Oaks to thank for the infection that nearly killed me, consultant was as arrogant as hell, as well as other things, Last time I spoke to them they had a longer waiting list for a ultrasound than the General, We use Nuffield now, who done the ultrasound the next morning, they don't take any NHS work.
West Suffolk is one of the best hospitals in the country, you are lucky being able to use that, could they not have taken you to there instead of Colchester, can't be a lot in it?

They could and should have taken me there considering it's in the county I live in and Colchester isn't, but apparently Ambulances drivers take you to where they are told to. Karen played hell with them, being a Colchester girl and knowing the hospitals reputation but if fell on deaf ears.

Edited by eggsarascal

5 hours ago, Mesterh said:

I have always had a great service from the NHS, shows how it differs across country. 

All I have to add is if it is an emergency call 999 and get an ambulance, you will be seen to a lot quicker than if yyou walk into A& E with a cold.

If its serious they will see you straight away, IME.  I've never gone to hospital by ambulance, always got there under my own steam and always been seen ASAP.

• Like 1

The brother tells a good story, a modern day parable of sorts;

About the wee country man from Ballycastle who cuts half his arm off, with a chainsaw, of course, and after self-adminersted  first aid, continued his work until quitting time, when his sister insists he really should perhaps go to the Hospital.

So he drives himself to the local A & E, where he is ignored for hours and hours and hours, until during a lull, a Nurse sees fit to enquire if he had been seen yet.?

This story was told to the brother by an experienced exasperated Nurse, who had had a lifetime bellyfull of stupid hysterical people phoning unneeded ambulances and creating an unwarrented fuss, over minor issues,

while the truely ill were left ignored in all the noise and fuss.

Fact.

Edited by difflock