Elten chainsaw safety boots sole

openspaceman

Has anyone successfully had boots re soled?

I have a little used pair that I put away 10 years ago when I was issued with Meindel woodwalkers.

I fetched them out to wear yesterday and couldn't understand why my feet were wet and cold. On removing them I see the sole is totally perished and large chunks have flaked off, exposing the underside and stitching.

It seems a shame to ditch them, they will cost £150 to replace, if the soles are available.

I've no complaint about the sole deteriorating with time as ordinarily I would only expect a boot to last a year or two before I wore them out.

You and I remember people called cobblers; one of them could do it!  Our local one retired only a couple of years ago sadly.

Contact the manufacturers and ask if they provide an AltBerg-style service.  I'd be amazed if the boots can't be re-soled; you just need to find who can do it.

Email: [email protected]

Edited by nepia

1 hour ago, nepia said:

You and I remember people called cobblers; one of them could do it!  Our local one retired only a couple of years ago sadly.

Contact the manufacturers and ask if they provide an AltBerg-style service.  I'd be amazed if the boots can't be re-soled; you just need to find who can do it.

Thanks I will, what is an AltBerg style service?

On 14/12/2019 at 11:32, nepia said:

This is the reply from Elten

"We’ve had a look at the pictures you’ve sent us and can get back to you with the following information.
Indeed you are right, this pair of chainsaw boots has been manufactured in 2007 which means it is more than 10 years old.

Unfortunately it is somehow natural that the soles of your boots fall apart after such a long time. This effect is called “hydrolysis”.
It is a problem of chemical nature – the material of the sole partially consists of polyurethane (PU), a synthetic material containing softeners. Hydrolysis is the process by which these softeners “disappear” out of the sole. In the end, the sole hardens and when putting the shoes on and starting to walk, the sole starts to crumble. Hydrolysis cannot be avoided, it’s a natural effect. Even under best storage conditions (dry place at room temperature) this effect will latest appear to any pair of shoes after approximately 5 to 8 years – no matter if used or unused. Of course this is a shame when shoes haven’t been worn a lot, but there’s nothing we can do about it (nor can any other manufacturer).

Furthermore you’ve asked if a repair is possible.
We need to inform you that a repair is not possible. We have tried to do this in the past, but the results were always more than questionable. In order to repair the shoes, we need to tear off the old / damaged soles with a good portion of force. This usually damages the upper material / leather, which then leads to the fact that water can easily penetrate into the boots. Furthermore, the upper then needs to be re-soled on a soling machine, and it’s almost impossible to put a pair of used uppers into the machine without the uppers being twisted, then leading to a pair of uncomfortable / non-fitting boots."