Mains electric chainsaw

david lawrence

11 hours ago, david lawrence said:

Hi

i am thinking of going into the shed to cut

up logs in the dark and rain

so considering the most powerful  stihl mains electric  saw

it says 2.1 kW power consumption

does that mean it is equivalent to a 2.1 kW output petrol saw ?

if so that would be enough

any first hand experience or opinions welcome

thanks

If it says 2.1KW consumption that is what it will draw from the mains to run it . The output might be somewhat less .  Bit like when people sell an amplifier , they see a sticker saying 120 W consumption and advertise it as a 120W amp when in reality it has a 30W output .

11 hours ago, sandspider said:

Haven't tried the Stihl, but I've got a 2kw mains electric titan chainsaw. Cost me £50. Only had fairly light use as most of my chopping isn't in range of a plug, but it does a good job and cuts surprisingly well.

Friend of mine uses one of those and it does the job for him with wood up to 10" diameter. The motor stop is exceptionally quick on his when you let go of the trigger.

+1 for the Titan saw, they seem to be getting cheaper in Screwfix over time. Although I had a s/h one at first and the oiler wasn’t up to much, I bought a new one to replace it with and it’s been fine. Living in a fairly built up area it’s less noisy than either of the petrol saws for logging at home.

7 hours ago, Stere said:

I have a makita plug in one I use for firewood its good.

There is several models I have older version of the more expensive one they do a cheaper one also.

WWW.AMAZON.CO.UK

Shop Makita UC4051A 240 V Electric Chainsaw. Free delivery on eligible orders of £20 or more.

I have this one and it works well & pretty rapid through small stuff. I only use it at the yard for cutting at the saw horse. Keeps the noise down and saves the faff of setting the saw down running whilst loading up the saw horse. Has to be better for the environment and more importantly cheaper to run in this scenario. 

Off course, it would be next to useless for ringing up, but I've two Stihl's for that ?

The only annoyance with the saw is the chain tensioner. It hasn't caused any grief so far, I just find it fiddly and seems to be a "weak link" I'm minded if anythings going to fail on the saw it will be that. 

I've recently bought into the Makita battery range for strimmer and hedge cutter and will probably go to the twin battery version of the chainsaw should this one ever give up. 

Posted this before but I had this old Dolmar saw which I had abandoned as it had no kickback safety .  But it always was a powerful mains operated saw and handy being quieter and easy to start.

Bought a little saw bench with a thing that clamps the blade and has a red protective shield for kickback

i was operating it one handed in the video as the other hand had the camera but even then felt fairly safe as the saw was fixed and I was standing well to one side

It is not much use for anything except some quieter domestic work where perhaps you do not want to disturb neighbours on a Sunday morning.  I think that it cost around £35 on eBay 

I have large stihl mains electric. Used to cut logs in the evening under floodlight for “on the side” firewood business which had to be stopped as it got to big. Used freehand to ring up and also in portek for smaller stuff. No lack of power and vey well made. Only issue is that on some of the bigger saws they are soft start, meaning there is a very slight pause before reaching full revs. In a production type environment can drive you crazy as you are waiting for a fraction of a second before you can cut in anger. Many log businesses started on the Black and Decker 10inch from the early 80’s.......