Esse Ironheart

I currently have a Rayburn doing the DHT, heating and cooking. Its fine when working but we always seem to have the Engineer out. Thankfully the Landlady pays. [emoji3] But we're buying the place and I'll not be forking out for the constant work it needs, even the Engineer said to dump it. He's a Master Rayburn guy, one of the few for Scotland and travels all over. 

I like the idea of a Stove in the living room running the radiators and the Esse in the kitchen running the hot water, but it seems that might not be the best solution. We have 14 radiators in the house, we'd have to have a massive stove to run everything off of that so if we have 'assist' it with the Esse and reduce the size needed in the livingroom all the better. 

Not sure how logical that is though? [emoji3] 
Aye andy, mines a solid fuel rayburn, dont think youd ever need an engineer for one of them, and they do 13kw to hot water or something mental like that.

They a made like tanks.

Prolly if you intend on having both fires lit most of the time then a 2 heat source system would be ok, but if one is for an evening heat boost in a sitting room i wouldnt have this on a bb as it really effects how much heat output to room they give out. 20191214_172537.jpeg

Aye andy, mines a solid fuel rayburn, dont think youd ever need an engineer for one of them, and they do 13kw to hot water or something mental like that.

They a made like tanks.

Prolly if you intend on having both fires lit most of the time then a 2 heat source system would be ok, but if one is for an evening heat boost in a sitting room i wouldnt have this on a bb as it really effects how much heat output to room they give out. 20191214_172537.thumb.jpeg.6f6c32d7b6d1443051460ae8be3ab2ad.jpeg

Lovely! Cracking stonework. We hope to emulate that!

IMG_5236.jpg

We've just had the Bakeheart delivered, replaced the ESSE woodturning range we'd had for 10yrs
lovely little piece, does everything we need it to, wife is currently baking mince pies as I write
1771049808_Bakeheart1.thumb.jpg.0c52ca55c3ae4a307ae5beff381026e4.jpg

I love that! My brothers thinking of moving up from London back to Scotland and might build a log cabin on my patch of land. He’s seriously thinking of getting the Bakeheart.

Please keep us informed on how you get on with it.

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

I love that! My brothers thinking of moving up from London back to Scotland and might build a log cabin on my patch of land. He’s seriously thinking of getting the Bakeheart.

Please keep us informed on how you get on with it.

We had it commissioned at the beginning of October and it's been lit everyday since, easy to light in the morning once there's a decent amount of ash built up. With the oven under the firebox it takes a while to heat up, I often put a joint of lamb in a cast iron casserole to slow cook it for about 8hrs and it works just perfect.

As I said, my wife has just baked mince pies and the pastry is great.

There's just the two of us now and it is fine for all our cooking needs, I like the fact that meat and fish can be grilled in the firebox itself with out drying out, great for jacket spuds too.

If I have to find a fault it's that the glass needs cleaning before each lighting, other then that I can't fault it, we can do all the cooking we need on it and it throws out 5kw of heat too.

Currently burning Ash on it.

Mince pie turnover just arrived as I finish typing this!

mince pie turnover.JPG

Edited by Forest2Furniture
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...