Esse Ironheart

7 hours ago, Bolt said:

Not had one, so I can’t comment on them.

Here is the.... errrrr frank discussion  Peasgood Possibly alluded to....

Hmmm, mixed reviews heading towards the negative. I had already done my homework on it and knew most of these issues. Not really a show stopper for me but interesting to see it will not really provide the hotwater for a family is a little annoying, will have to tie it into the Stove in the Living Room when I get around to buying one for there too. :D Thankfully my brother-in-law is a heating engineer.

We like watching River Cottage and this wee clip kinda sold it for my wife. 

6 hours ago, billpierce said:

Oh and id go for 1 fire doing rads and hw, rather than 2 and more complicated system. Just make sure the back boiler you have is up to doing the rads you require, as irs not much fun trying to get the house warm if the bb is too small ( been there).

Currently have a rayburn 355. Very good.

I currently have a Rayburn doing the DHT, heating and cooking. Its fine when working but we always seem to have the Engineer out. Thankfully the Landlady pays. :D But we're buying the place and I'll not be forking out for the constant work it needs, even the Engineer said to dump it. He's a Master Rayburn guy, one of the few for Scotland and travels all over. 

I like the idea of a Stove in the living room running the radiators and the Esse in the kitchen running the hot water, but it seems that might not be the best solution. We have 14 radiators in the house, we'd have to have a massive stove to run everything off of that so if we have 'assist' it with the Esse and reduce the size needed in the livingroom all the better. 

Not sure how logical that is though? :D 

5 hours ago, Alycidon said:

Or domestic hot water,  its an indirect system,  so the water circulating through the boiler is piped into a DHW tank where it heats the cold water surrounding the pipes,  this is then used for showers etc,

I have sold probably 30 Ironhearts in the last 10 years,  the only problem I had was with one that the owner insisted of feeding it wet wood.  It tarred up the flueways, twice..

Be aware that its heat output to the room is 9.8kw without a boiler and around 7.5 kw with the boiler fitted,  you will need a decent sized room.

I would also strongly recommend the optional wood burning box,  this replaces the multifuel grate and allows a far larger fuel load.  

Hell of a good bit of kit providing its fed dry wood and the flueways are swept on a reasonably regular basis,  the IH does come with a long sweeping brush, an ash scraper and a set of hot plate lifters to enable the easy removal of the hotplate for cleaning.

And its made from scratch in Barnoldswick on the Yorks/Lancs borders.

A

A

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I understood that the Boiler is designed for DHW only, plus a radiator. If I dont need a radiator I'd not bother as I need enough hotwater to keep a family of 5 going. 

We live in an old farm house. The kitchen is quite large and we'll be knocking a wall down when we buy it so no worries there. Plus there is next to no insulation. :D 

Do you have a link to the wood burning box? For sure I'll be getting one if its a case of extra wood. :D 

I was gonna buy new later this month when a wee bonus comes my way but this used one came up for sale and looks mint. 

Esse 1.JPG

Esse 2.JPG

esse 3.JPG

11 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I understood that the Boiler is designed for DHW only, plus a radiator. If I dont need a radiator I'd not bother as I need enough hotwater to keep a family of 5 going. 

We live in an old farm house. The kitchen is quite large and we'll be knocking a wall down when we buy it so no worries there. Plus there is next to no insulation. :D 

Do you have a link to the wood burning box? For sure I'll be getting one if its a case of extra wood. :D 

I was gonna buy new later this month when a wee bonus comes my way but this used one came up for sale and looks mint. 

Esse 1.JPG

Esse 2.JPG

esse 3.JPG

I would love a stove like that in my kitchen, minus the pressure treated 3x3 though.

• Like 1