Esse Ironheart

5 minutes ago, billpierce said:

did it myself, but have since seen a few other peoples systems and been very impressed -  a pal has got rads all over his house all working on gravity in ways that look impossible (he got a plumber in )

Excellent.  I did exactly the same. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The avantgardener said:

My mate had one installed when he added an extension to his kitchen, he has the back boiler version that he runs the underfloor heating from, he really rates it as the best thing he has bought, it looks great too.

The boiler is for domestic hot water only,  output approx 2.5kw,   its not powerful enough to run a CH system on its own,

A

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bolt said:

Some may say that a heat sink rad in the bathroom is a smarter move.

Or domestic hot water,  its an indirect system,  so the water circulating through the boiler is piped into a DHW tank where it heats the cold water surrounding the pipes,  this is then used for showers etc,

I have sold probably 30 Ironhearts in the last 10 years,  the only problem I had was with one that the owner insisted of feeding it wet wood.  It tarred up the flueways, twice..

Be aware that its heat output to the room is 9.8kw without a boiler and around 7.5 kw with the boiler fitted,  you will need a decent sized room.

I would also strongly recommend the optional wood burning box,  this replaces the multifuel grate and allows a far larger fuel load.  

Hell of a good bit of kit providing its fed dry wood and the flueways are swept on a reasonably regular basis,  the IH does come with a long sweeping brush, an ash scraper and a set of hot plate lifters to enable the easy removal of the hotplate for cleaning.

And its made from scratch in Barnoldswick on the Yorks/Lancs borders.

A

A

Edited by Alycidon
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Alycidon said:

The boiler is for domestic hot water only,  output approx 2.5kw,   its not powerful enough to run a CH system on its own,

A

Indeed.

66DF2492-63B5-457C-9FB2-D77FE03E8696.thumb.jpeg.23dbbe4241d48e9f0ed0c8ee299401b8.jpeg

... DHW and a lukewarm rad (as taken from the installation guide).

https://www.esse.com/wp-content/themes/esse/downloads/guides-and-manuals/woodburning-stoves/Ironheart-Manual.pdf

Still..... it’s a nice looking stove, and as pointed out, locally made.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Indeed.

66DF2492-63B5-457C-9FB2-D77FE03E8696.thumb.jpeg.23dbbe4241d48e9f0ed0c8ee299401b8.jpeg

That doesn't look right to me, the  feed should be to the boiler circuit from a separate header and the 28mm vent pipe should rise vertically from the boiler.

In the above graphic if the coil was obstructed or the DHW tank empty then the boiling water in the primary could not expand or vent.

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

That doesn't look right to me, the  feed should be to the boiler circuit from a separate header and the 28mm vent pipe should rise vertically from the boiler.

In the above graphic if the coil was obstructed or the DHW tank empty then the boiling water in the primary could not expand or vent.

1 hour ago, mr kipling said:

You need a feed and expansion tank for the secondary side ( feeds the boiler side) as currently that is showing as a sealed system and that would not work out so good if you lit it 

Yes, they appear to be missing the header tank for the boiler / coil circuit.

..... bit concerning considering the diagram is produced by the manufacturer.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Yes, they appear to be missing the header tank for the boiler / coil circuit.

I suppose it would work if you used a direct-cylinder, rather than the indirect-cylinder depicted in the diagram, but then, the direct-cylinder setup is only of interest to those who have no objection to their family bathing in rusty water.

?

• Haha 1