Mill extension

gobbypunk

Hi guys so thinking about an extension to my mill bed to mill longer butts so my question to anybody who has done this did you just buy an extension from Woodland Mills or did you just buy some angle iron and make your own ,making my own is kinda the way I am thinking about going,but as always keen to hear your thoughts.

Thanks Mark 

1 hour ago, gobbypunk said:

Hi doobin , I was just looking on woodland mills web site and for my hm130 the extension is £360 plus vat ,and for some angle ,box sections and a few other bits seems expensive to me ,that’s why I was wondering if anybody else had made their own .

The factory  extension is worth it I’d say, Ive done a lot of fabrication on mine and did consider making my own but the benefits of the factory extension is that as has been said everything is compatible and you get the extra dogs etc. For me I’d say save yourself a chunk of hassle and buy the woodlands one. 

Ah thanks Agri I haven’t yet put the callipers on the rails but now I know the rails are bloody Chinese imperial that I have never even heard of ,I will probably just buy the woodland one ,and there was me thinking a few days with my mate doing some welding and I would have a mill extension. Thanks guys 

Happy Christmas 

• Like 1

and  just to put the icing on the cake......if you look at the top of your rails, they're machined flat, not the rounded profile of normal angle rolled steel.........not daft these boys at woodlands...lol....anyway, what you get for your money is well worth it, rails, bunks, hold downs,  all the hardware, and all galvanised, painted and ready to build, whats not to love.......except maybe 2 extensions...........nuff said

Edited by agrimog
  • Like 2