Making a book from 2 pieces of wood

George10

Good morning all

I wonder if anyone can offer me some help or suggest an online tutorial that will me make a standing book from 2 bits of wood. I have been making clocks from old books (example attached) but I want to try something similar with wood in order to make them more 'steampunk'. I have limited woodworking skills so I have been trawling the net for an idiot's tutorial. In particular I would like to know how to make the spine. I appreciate I could just staple the 2 parts together but I think they will look too amateur. Any help or advice a forum member can offer me will be much appreciated.

Thanks

George

Old-Book-Clock.jpg

Can't you just use a couple of hinges? Can't remember the type (someone will know) but some just screw into place without needing to cut a recess to seat in the plate itself. I'm assuming that you're using PAR timber (planed all round) and the edges are true and square. 

Edit - love the clock. 

Edited by Gary Prentice

Thanks Gary, I wondered about using hinges but I thought there might be a better way to give me the rounded spine effect. Not sure what you mean by PAR timber (planed all round) - my woodworking experience and knowledge of wood is very limited - I just use wood off-cuts from a local timber merchant and basically get what they can be bothered giving me.

Hi Lazarus - that is way too complicated for me - I would end up making a pig's ear of. I don't have the tool or skill for that level of complexity. Gary's suggestion re hinges would probably work for me and I can use FoamIran to make the spine. But thank you so much for your suggestion.

Regards

George

13 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

Bendy ply may just do it then, just thin flexible ply that you could use to "cover" the book and hide any hinges or unsightly joins, also easy to finish with oils, wax or paint.

Capture.PNG

How about using leather or canvas glued to the timber?

15 hours ago, Lazurus said:

Bendy ply may just do it then, just thin flexible ply that you could use to "cover" the book and hide any hinges or unsightly joins, also easy to finish with oils, wax or paint.

Capture.PNG

Hi Lazarus - that sounds ideal. Can I just ask a couple of questions about bendy ply? There seems to be cross grain and long grain - which one would be better. Also, will it stick down easily with wood glue? Presumably it can be bought in small depths.

15 hours ago, Squaredy said:

How about using leather or canvas glued to the timber?

I'm leaning towards the bendy ply suggestion but I did think about leather or canvas but not sure where I can get small amounts of either without paying through the nose. I've used craft foam for other projects and it feels like suede / leather once painted.