Volvo XC70 v Ash stump. Ash won

Billhook

2 hours ago, Andrew McEwan said:

Cheers Billhook, might be a decent legacy replacement option 

Andy,  you've had value for money out of that Legacy!  Really like those older Volvo estates and the XC's as they have a  5 cylinder Volvo engine.  Subaru Forester may be worth looking at too. 

• Like 1

I have 55reg XC70 ocean race in storage. Couldnt part -ex it for peanuts.. so kept it under cover.
We now have a VW Amarok and Defender 110 as daily (work) cars.
2 years ago with all that snow the best car was the Volvo!! The perfect travel car, 6sp manual, 185bhp, nothing beats it in bad weather. (Only deep snowdrifts).
It is for sale to the right person[emoji6].20190330_155944.jpeg

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Bennovet said:

I have 55reg XC70 ocean race in storage. Couldnt part -ex it for peanuts.. so kept it under cover.
We now have a VW Amarok and Defender 110 as daily (work) cars.
2 years ago with all that snow the best car was the Volvo!! The perfect travel car, 6sp manual, 185bhp, nothing beats it in bad weather. (Only deep snowdrifts).
It is for sale to the right personemoji6.png.20190330_155944.jpeg

Wow lovely looking xc. Idrive a 05 v70 d5 the boot space is amazing. I keep all my kit in it. Best thing for me is the comfort and mpg. I've done 12.000 since march this year back and forward from carlisle to Newcastle rvi hospital if I hold back on the gas itll do 74.6mpg and sitting at 85 it still gets 54.3mpg. That ocean race is a fine example of a swedish wagon 

• Like 1

It was/is our dream car... last of the 5 cylinder diesels, D5, full leather..
Never found a car with better seats.. these are all electric too.
Wife also reluctant to let go but I just signed 4yr lease on Amarok, I rebuilt my Landy and got spare VW caddy maxi at work, also series 3 landy for weekend jolly,
so not realistic to think we use again... just so much emotion.. had all Volvo estates, 240, 740, 940, V70bifuel and eventually this one!!
We are 2nd owner and did 100k in it (lots of trips to Holland).
Has newish Xclimate tyres, 17", few little electric things that can be sorted. I drive it out the shed a few times every year and is permanently on trickle charge. Never fails.

Anyway, will have to be very close to 3.5k to consider.
It costs me nothing to keep[emoji6].

I took our first viscous coupling model  2000 year, to the Gower near Bishopston to see some friends.   Decided to go for a walk down to the sea but were told to drive along a narrow track to a turning place where we could park.  when we arrived there a large car was already there so could not turn round and reversing for a mile up the track did not appeal

Ahead was a very rough road cut straight from the rock, very narrow with a huge drop on one side.  There were some large steps in the rock at various intervals but it never grounded.  It started to become steeper and my wife was screaming (she had the view of the drop!).  We met a walker coming up and asked her if it becomes better further down.  she said no it is worse!

Arrived at the bottom where a Land Rover Series 111 was parked belonging to the owner of the cottage down there, and turned round.

Now I had the view of the drop and I could see why my wife was screaming!

Anyway the old car clambered up to the top, very sure footed and did not ground once.

When we told our friends of our adventure they could hardly believe us and apparently it is still talked about in the pub!

We replaced it after 220k miles for a Japanese import.  They look after their cars very well and have a strict system to replace safety parts after a certain time regardless of wear or mileage.  Right hand drive but the speedo is in kph

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Billhook said:

Decided to go for a walk down to the sea but were told to drive along a narrow track to a turning place where we could park.

Sounds like Pwlldu, I never drove there. I did walk down to the next cove, Brandy, one hot day and saw my first manitou rough terrain forklift, it had been used by a farmer to remove a car that blocked his access, 1969 IIRC. Several of us rented the old Rectory prior to it being demolished.