Ranger Adblue Issues?

PeteB

On 04/05/2020 at 11:38, GA Groundcare said:

Trouble with the MI16 XU9 engine is oil surge, it did have Stihl Magnesium rocker cover though!

They like to go bang with any type of track / race work, especially if using slicks and decent suspension.

Folk spent many years adding larger capacity sumps with baffles etc. Never really sorted the issue. Ok on the road though.

I used to have in my 205 an 1.9 MI16 on mapped ignition ecu with twin Weber 45 DCOE's. Made about 190hp on the rollers.

Now I run the XU10 iron block from a 306 GTI-6 with proper fuel injection. It's a bit heavier but a much better starting point with less design issues. 230hp at the flywheel. Weighing in around 750kg with the multi point welded in cage.

Have you not thought/looked into electric oil and water pumps?

moment hit ignition button there primed and ready to go before turning engine over great esp if running high lift cams/high compression pistons and once turn off there still running circulating oil&water lessens head gasket issues from boiling in head!

also less engine/belt loads

• 7 months later...

Circumstances being what they are, I doubt that I did 10K since March when previously doing 5k per month and a lot of that being heavy towing! I have had to put Ad blue in it since and it seems t owork as it should though. However, it transpires that Rangers do suffer from issues with the power lead into the fuse box under the bonnet. These can get an intermittency, or even start to burn the box itself! The AA had to come to mine twice and the second time he found it, the garage fitted a new one.

I was recently contacted by someone else who was experiencing the similar AdBlue issues and they too spoke to Shepshed Ford who declined to take the job on! I'm not surprised as they lost money thanks to Ford not supporting them during the process. The menu said 4 hours and it took days.......Shepshed felt that it should have been covered by Ford as their fix didn't work - they felt that after some £800, we had paid enough.... 

• Sad 1

Mate had a similar adblue problem on his cabstar. Engine light came on. Local garage cancelled the light. It came back on just as he went to his mot test station, they passed it but told him to sort it.

So, with no Nissan dealer willing to even look at at, it went to an independent garage, who are Nissan approved( and can do warranty work) first they thought it was a blocked adblue pipe. , vehicle collected, half a mile from home, the light came on again. Back it went. This time they replaced the adblue injectorno joy. Then they e

Replaced the adblue pump. Sorted. All under warranty, and had it not been, they quoted £8000. These adblue systems are not all,they are cracked up to be!

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, PeteB said:

Circumstances being what they are, I doubt that I did 10K since March when previously doing 5k per month and a lot of that being heavy towing! I have had to put Ad blue in it since and it seems t owork as it should though. However, it transpires that Rangers do suffer from issues with the power lead into the fuse box under the bonnet. These can get an intermittency, or even start to burn the box itself! The AA had to come to mine twice and the second time he found it, the garage fitted a new one.

I was recently contacted by someone else who was experiencing the similar AdBlue issues and they too spoke to Shepshed Ford who declined to take the job on! I'm not surprised as they lost money thanks to Ford not supporting them during the process. The menu said 4 hours and it took days.......Shepshed felt that it should have been covered by Ford as their fix didn't work - they felt that after some £800, we had paid enough.... 

Doesn't sound awfully positive! I wonder if they've sorted these niggles with the 19/20 facelift, 2L models... 

I imagine part of it is bad luck. My transit custom has 85,000 on it now and the only issue I've had is the key fob, the battery in which is non-user replaceable. I've met others who passionately hate the custom, so there's always a bad egg. The ordeal you had in getting it sorted though sounds extremely off putting... 

• 1 month later...

Eating through AdBlue now and seems to be leaking oil from from shaft at front drive assembly from gearbox. Tell tale was little spots of stuff on the trailer - thought (hoped) it was a leak from Adblue as we are getting through that, but no, starts at the front!

Adblue......put 20ltrs in just before Xmas at about 103k, put 20 ltrs in at about 106k and just put another load in at 107K! Ringing the garage tomorrow.....

1 hour ago, PeteB said:

Eating through AdBlue now and seems to be leaking oil from from shaft at front drive assembly from gearbox. Tell tale was little spots of stuff on the trailer - thought (hoped) it was a leak from Adblue as we are getting through that, but no, starts at the front!

Adblue......put 20ltrs in just before Xmas at about 103k, put 20 ltrs in at about 106k and just put another load in at 107K! Ringing the garage tomorrow.....

Pete

Mate who has a navarra had a similar issue with eating adblue. He thought it was normal and brought a 205ltr barrell. Nissan re programmed the ECU and it's now back to normal.

My cabstar has an adblue issue, redactant heater according to the engine code. Could be a blocked injector, but will find out Wednesday. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus, just spent ages reading most of the nightmare  posts on this thread, and i am glad i have got what i have and thats a old 05 plate LWB Shogun 3.2ltr. £243 to insure, £320 a year to tax, knocking around 27mpg Mway work 33mpg and it pulls like a train, i think when it comes to the day when its had it i wont know what to get as i hear so many horror stories about modern vehicle,s  , i feel a Donkey and cart could be on the cards for delivering logs and a Quingo for day to day use 😂

• Like 2