Ranger Adblue Issues?

PeteB

Safe to say vehicle manufactures have royally fucked up modern diesel engines... The late 90's was the era for diesels.. Mechanical, fairly refined, offering half decent performance and also running for ever and a day. 

Indeed
Got a 2002 Toyota Hiace Van and no dpf malarkey etc
Village garage that services it says it is the best era too and not to get rid
They say it is a pleasure to service as there are no electronics and stuff
New vehicles are a bane of their lives
  • Like 5

Its not fords engine, its a PSA developed engine. The add-ons and auxiliaries, electronics etc all play a part on the engines performances etc so oil types/grades can differ between brands/manufacturers.
It always makes me smile when people mention this, reminds me of a friend who chopped in a peugeot people carrier yoke after a few years of endless hardship for a shiny new ford galaxy only to be shown (by me and another smug buddy) that it had the very same engine as his previous, much hated vehicle!
  • Like 2

On 27/04/2020 at 00:41, Ratman said:

Its not fords engine, its a PSA developed engine. The add-ons and auxiliaries, electronics etc all play a part on the engines performances etc so oil types/grades can differ between brands/manufacturers.

All made in Dagenham at Powertrain a Fords Foundry at the back of the old Ford Works used in fords/Mini/Land rover/Fiat/Citroen/pug/Volvo/Jaguar/Rover/Mg/Mazda and more  2.2 is a pile of dogs crap so many issues with it. 2.0 litre HDI is good even the 16v one is.the smaller diesels fords/power train spec'd wrong oil for them then blamed many for using wrong oil but they went by spec sheet. There are SAGA's on many forums over it Mini owners had a class action with them over it.

The old 1.9TD they had in Citroen/Peugeots where did that come from?......................UK it was a BL/Rover engine

Edited by AngrySquirrel
edit
  • Like 1

Yes.... if you read wiki’s interpretation properly, it states that the engines were derived from the PSA versions before the amalgamation in 1998...... when they became joint ventures...... ford/volvo etc and you can see mini were in a joint venture with PSA, no mention of Ford. Not here for an argument, was just a general comment which you’ve proved to be right from wiki.

19 hours ago, AngrySquirrel said:

The old 1.9TD they had in Citroen/Peugeots where did that come from?......................UK it was a BL/Rover engine

What a beast the old XU series engines were. The diesel XU was in some large Toro commercial mowers back in the day. Bombproof. 

I have an XU engine in my 205 track car. Steel oversized crank from the 1.9TD, oversized pistons, uprated cams, custom conrods, head work, individual throttle bodies, 8 injectors, dry sump etc. Just had the engine out to do cambelt and some other bits. Here’s a photo from Saturday morning ?

E4463D2C-7DB6-482D-91B6-BE6E2CF37E5A.jpeg

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, GA Groundcare said:

What a beast the old XU series engines were. The diesel XU was in some large Toro commercial mowers back in the day. Bombproof. 

I have an XU engine in my 205 track car. Steel oversized crank from the 1.9TD, oversized pistons, uprated cams, custom conrods, head work, individual throttle bodies, 8 injectors, dry sump etc. Just had the engine out to do cambelt and some other bits. Here’s a photo from Saturday morning ?

E4463D2C-7DB6-482D-91B6-BE6E2CF37E5A.jpeg

had the engine you'd have liked! the 16valve jobbie out of the BX 16v Stihl made the inlet manifolds! had there name on the castings! and they are twin plenum chambers so twin throttle bodies and nice 8 branch tubular exhaust manifold.

Friend whose Garage i did work for said They only wanted wheels back car was on floor as had been sitting pipes had corroded so was scrap! saw engine and thought mmmm cash there got it out and sold on the dot to Burtons near Ilford Essex they use head and bits on 205's getting a lot of grunt!

Had the 1.9 205 alloy wheels on my old Zanty pretty sure they had been for Group N cars had the Speedline stickers on them and was White and everyone has said never known them in white OE! but they used them on Group N in White! Don't think on Group A though? but maybe as was tough ole rims so had been heat treated unlike Johnny go Faster TSW etc soggy noodle wheels that break/bend before touch kerb!

Never thought of Electric oil and water pumps?

Looks ok have you seen the pug at Nürburgring monstered the track but did run on limiter on some straights.

I built my own road version ford sierra was a J reg Sapphire 1.8 which stripped out and stuck 2 litre pinto in was 205 blocked injection same block as 3 door cossies,rewired whole car had to convert looms as different years and body shapes plumbed injection system in and it was funny as anything that was on say left on 1.8 was on right with pinto!

L&B flywheel ultra short shift steel gear shift.Poly bushed throughout braided hoses Janspeed 4.2.1 manifold and Sportex system discs all round had the cossie conversion on fronts.Gaz adjustable shocks.Had light green injectors which didnt show for that engine so think had been uprated? later had head off and polished and ported it with cam kit and adjustable vernier.

Chased a well set up 309? or 205 got chatting to guy later he was going he did rallying i was miles back round the lanes he was worried thought plod.

Had 1.8 on rear still but didnt sound like one was amusing when scampered up the road.

That was up in north yorks chased it back from Leeds across to Harrogate to west side up over moors heading pennypot army camp way turned rear discs blue! but car could get it to do whatever you liked handled like a Kart so precise but funny got into friends new Ranger felt like a barge as sloppy in comparison.

• Like 2

Trouble with the MI16 XU9 engine is oil surge, it did have Stihl Magnesium rocker cover though!

They like to go bang with any type of track / race work, especially if using slicks and decent suspension.

Folk spent many years adding larger capacity sumps with baffles etc. Never really sorted the issue. Ok on the road though.

I used to have in my 205 an 1.9 MI16 on mapped ignition ecu with twin Weber 45 DCOE's. Made about 190hp on the rollers.

Now I run the XU10 iron block from a 306 GTI-6 with proper fuel injection. It's a bit heavier but a much better starting point with less design issues. 230hp at the flywheel. Weighing in around 750kg with the multi point welded in cage.

Edited by GA Groundcare
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Update! Finally got mine back. To be fair, they went on furlough for a while then they were doing only urgent works. I asked what had been done but got told, "everything Ford told us to!" And Ford paid the expected +£2k bill. I did ask if they expected to see me again and they told me that if it goes again, one of two things could happen, firstly, they would prefer me to crash it hard and secondly, the Ford Technician would have to trails North again!

It was really weird getting into a smooth automatic,  comfortable,  powerful and tight suspension etc. Rather than the frankly awful 63 plate, 2.2 manual old reps Express!

• Like 4