Ranger Adblue Issues?

PeteB

I am genuinely concerned about modern pick ups.
When my Transit dies I want to get an extra cab tipper, because I think it would suit my work well now.

The problem is they all seem to have horror stories.

I don't want to make a major investment in something that will be scrap in 3 years. The government obviously hate diesels, but what are the alternatives out there?
It is a genuine worry for me and a lot of my mates who have to run these trucks for work.

Buy something with a five year + warranty Mark then chop it in again if you have experienced any horrors in that period. If not then run it a bit longer.
Trouble is also, especially on google or a forum, when a problem is highlighted like it is here regards Rangers and adblue problems, you mainly only hear the horror stories regards that particular situation involving a select few vehicles of those speaking out. If you were to strike a page up about all the good points/reviews on a Ford Ranger then the good would probably outweigh the bad.
I’m looking at a Toyota Proace Verso at the min, based on the Peugeot/Citroen platform running their 2.0 hdi engine which gets very mixed reviews. I’m leaning towards Toyota’s version because it has 5 yrs warranty where as Peugeot/Citroen is only 3 yrs. My theory being that if it behaves well for me in the first 5 yrs then it’ll be good for a long time after, if its a pig then it’ll go at the end of the 5 yrs and i’ll have to seek an alternative.
  • Like 1

On 21/02/2020 at 16:26, Ratman said:

Buy something with a five year + warranty Mark then chop it in again if you have experienced any horrors in that period. If not then run it a bit longer.
Trouble is also, especially on google or a forum, when a problem is highlighted like it is here regards Rangers and adblue problems, you mainly only hear the horror stories regards that particular situation involving a select few vehicles of those speaking out. If you were to strike a page up about all the good points/reviews on a Ford Ranger then the good would probably outweigh the bad.
I’m looking at a Toyota Proace Verso at the min, based on the Peugeot/Citroen platform running their 2.0 hdi engine which gets very mixed reviews. I’m leaning towards Toyota’s version because it has 5 yrs warranty where as Peugeot/Citroen is only 3 yrs. My theory being that if it behaves well for me in the first 5 yrs then it’ll be good for a long time after, if its a pig then it’ll go at the end of the 5 yrs and i’ll have to seek an alternative.

You are very true with the statement! Bad news travels further than good, the internet is generally full of had reviews and disgruntled folk! Rarely do people post things like "Yup!, Never an issue with mine!" Or "faultless service and value for money!" Or just the basic "no probs!"

To be fair, the garage have spoken to me along the way and I would try to use the same people with whatever truck I get next! Far better than the last Ford dealership I was involved with. The truck too, has been comfortable and reliable apart from this saga. On balance, things have been okay, just frustrating. It seems that there may be issues with a wiring loom in the rear section. This may have caused a certain amount of misdiagnosis locally, that being said, a Scottish friend said straight away that he had been told that there is an issue with the rear looms!

• Like 1

Update! The loom checked okay, so Ford told them it was the pump module. This checked out okay as was recently replaced. Ford told them it was the injector, this was checked and was 100%. Now a Ford Field engineer has to come and view it personally as no one knows where to go next!

Including the Ford Field engineer no doubt. :D

its an expensive hobby on newer motors to just keep fitting new bits in a hope it fixes the problem. There seems to be much less of the "oh yes, I know what that will be" kind of mechanic these days. 

The price of the latest and greatest gee-whizzery I guess. 

• Like 3

My bet is a “software” issue! Somethings not talking correctly somewhere, and a big problem is when diagnosing an issue, you plug on and talk/get the information via the ecu, in this case the diag will talk direct to the SCR control unit. One thing to remember though is that the ecu is the brain and the diag will never blame the brain for any faults or ever see the ecu to be at fault. Ecu’s and the information given back from them to the diag machine can sometimes send you down the garden path. First thing i’d be doing is planting some current/active faults within the SCR field on purpose just to make sure it was talking correctly. And never discount the obvious either, by that i mean that for any electrical activation to happen there is always a basic mechanical behind it that makes/allows it to happen.

• Like 1

I am genuinely concerned about modern pick ups.
When my Transit dies I want to get an extra cab tipper, because I think it would suit my work well now.

The problem is they all seem to have horror stories.

I don't want to make a major investment in something that will be scrap in 3 years. The government obviously hate diesels, but what are the alternatives out there?
It is a genuine worry for me and a lot of my mates who have to run these trucks for work.
I was driving along the other day thinking about this - new things are often trouble in automotive but gradually bugs get ironed out and they become normal and reliable.

I remember my dad had a Triumph 2.5PI, as was common practice he took off the fuel injection and put SU carbs on as fuel injection was unreliable.
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

I was driving along the other day thinking about this - new things are often trouble in automotive but gradually bugs get ironed out and they become normal and reliable.

I remember my dad had a Triumph 2.5PI, as was common practice he took off the fuel injection and put SU carbs on as fuel injection was unreliable.

Thats it !  Put a couple of SU's on the ranger ! sorted ?

• Haha 2

On 03/02/2020 at 09:58, GA Groundcare said:

Safe to say vehicle manufactures have royally fucked up modern diesel engines... The late 90's was the era for diesels.. Mechanical, fairly refined, offering half decent performance and also running for ever and a day. 

‘Half decent’? Gutless you mean, couldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding.

18 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

‘Half decent’? Gutless you mean, couldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding.

You wouldn’t say that about the Landcruiser Amazon. I’d love a late 90s model. To be fair you have a point, my 2x 300tdis don’t have bundles of power but it has been dragging a 3 ton digger round for the last ten years and it’s still going now, I’d sacarifice a bit of power for reliability and longevity.

• Like 1

I had a 300tdi defender, they really do tow well, plus when it’s icy the constant spray of hot oil out of  the engine/gearbox/transfer box/diffs aids traction.
I had two hilux in the late 90s early 2000s, the first normally aspirated, ok but really lacking in power, the second a turbo, much better but terrible lag, neither were a patch on the Ranger I have now 155 hp, pulls my 2.5 tonne machine no probs, all under warranty.

‘Longevity?’ I’ll get a new one in the summer.

You know this stuff is tax deductible?

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 1