Ranger Adblue Issues?

PeteB

My GreenMech towtug is a 3.2 Auto Ranger. In use for close on 18 months and done 82k. Okay, I tow a lot, often big loads and long trips - mainly on the cruise control. Upto recent history, I was fairly anal about using Shell V Power etc, serviced by a Ford spot when needed and Adblue was either of the forecourt or from a GreenMech dealer. As a measure - Motorway services charge more for a ten litre than an AG dealer does for 20!

No one could tell me what average Adblue usage is so I have no comparison - but, with a long trip towing 3 tonne to Scotland and back, it would really use the stuff and I would seem to get through 20 litres in a few thousand miles. Other times, it may be a couple of months before any more was needed. Recently, I ran the clock down to less than 200 miles to go before 'no restart', filled it with 20 litres and away again. Ran the clock down to 140miles then another 20 litres (the gap was about 2500 miles mixed driving). The system should reset but this time, on restart, it said 605 before no restart. This went down to 142 between Glasgow and Carlisle. I tried to get more in but it would only take about 4 litres. I got it into my garage some 800 miles late with it still reading 142 - it actually rose to 160 on the day I took it in.

After much head scratching, testing and emails to and fro, Ford say that the tank internals may have been damaged by me from using the wrong grade of Adblue. More so, no warranty is available as it is older than one year and more than 60k! You may remember the last Ranger I had was a friday nighter too!

Anyone heard of Adblue issues in Rangers or the wrong grade of Adblue? Ford relationship centre and going to get a request for clarification....

I don't think there are even different grades of adblue. Sounds like bullshit to me.

WWW.FUELGENIE.CO.UK

Fleet managers are feeling the effects of AdBlue top-ups: and with most fleets running diesel vehicles also requiring...

"AdBlue is a proprietary name, like Hoover and iPhone: i.e. there are not different types or brands of AdBlue, though there may at any time be different brands selling other urea-based solutions that perform the same function."

• Like 2

Hi a mate here has a 2.2 ranger ltd only about 15 months old and wont of done a thousand miles a month, so its not quite like your issue but it has been back to the ford dealer with the same issue of the clock not resetting after filling with addblue, his truck was in about 5/6 months ago for a new sensor fitted to the addblue tank which on some rangers is a problem that repeats itself as the addblue affects the sensor, it is not a easy fix either as the tank is not the easy to get at and its the rear skip/body off, hope this is of help to you, 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PeteB said:

My GreenMech towtug is a 3.2 Auto Ranger. In use for close on 18 months and done 82k. Okay, I tow a lot, often big loads and long trips - mainly on the cruise control. Upto recent history, I was fairly anal about using Shell V Power etc, serviced by a Ford spot when needed and Adblue was either of the forecourt or from a GreenMech dealer. As a measure - Motorway services charge more for a ten litre than an AG dealer does for 20!

No one could tell me what average Adblue usage is so I have no comparison - but, with a long trip towing 3 tonne to Scotland and back, it would really use the stuff and I would seem to get through 20 litres in a few thousand miles. Other times, it may be a couple of months before any more was needed. Recently, I ran the clock down to less than 200 miles to go before 'no restart', filled it with 20 litres and away again. Ran the clock down to 140miles then another 20 litres (the gap was about 2500 miles mixed driving). The system should reset but this time, on restart, it said 605 before no restart. This went down to 142 between Glasgow and Carlisle. I tried to get more in but it would only take about 4 litres. I got it into my garage some 800 miles late with it still reading 142 - it actually rose to 160 on the day I took it in.

After much head scratching, testing and emails to and fro, Ford say that the tank internals may have been damaged by me from using the wrong grade of Adblue. More so, no warranty is available as it is older than one year and more than 60k! You may remember the last Ranger I had was a friday nighter too!

Anyone heard of Adblue issues in Rangers or the wrong grade of Adblue? Ford relationship centre and going to get a request for clarification....

The sender is stuck . Where I work there is a Peugeot Rifter ( 'orrible van )  When we got it it was filled with pigs wee and said 1700 mils till no start .  It actually went about 3 times that amount before it suddenly dropped an said 350 miles before no start .  We put a litre in and it went back up to 1700 . It now seems consistent with mileage .  Can only assume the sender unit was stuck up initially .  This leads me to believe if you could short it together you cold probably get away with out using any .......

• Like 2

The sender is stuck . Where I work there is a Peugeot Rifter ( 'orrible van )  When we got it it was filled with pigs wee and said 1700 mils till no start .  It actually went about 3 times that amount before it suddenly dropped an said 350 miles before no start .  We put a litre in and it went back up to 1700 . It now seems consistent with mileage .  Can only assume the sender unit was stuck up initially .  This leads me to believe if you could short it together you cold probably get away with out using any .......

Heard that the senders do stick. Especially if you run them low before refilling. Something to do with the angle of the float at near zero. Maybe a small top up and a hard run down a bumpy track?
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Baldbloke said:

Heard that the senders do stick. Especially if you run them low before refilling. Something to do with the angle of the float at near zero. Maybe a small top up and a hard run down a bumpy track?

Have you thought about just filling it with water ?  I think it is just a mix of urea and de ionized water any way ?  

Edited by Stubby

it works opposite to mpg as well. so on motorways you'll use more piss and around town you'll use less piss

i want to know the twat that thought the idea up. oh let me go and get my pig from the farm and get it piss down my exhaust on my van and see what happens to the environment now. maybe next time he'll get it to shit in his fuel tank and see what happens

it was probably Greta Thunberg's dad

• Like 3
  • Haha 4