Biodiesel apparently causing problems

scbk

35 minutes ago, porky said:

How many emergency standby generators are not going to start up due to this I wonder?

None , you can still get old fashioned gas oil for standby generators I'm told ?

36 minutes ago, porky said:

How many emergency standby generators are not going to start up due to this I wonder?

Had to change our valtra filters about 3 times as often recently, going to add a filter to the tanks pump so it has a clean before going into the tractor and after seeing this will definitely be keeping all machines filled as much as possible and tempted to ad a inline to the tractor as well as they are cheap as chips compared to the 100 odd quid for main one's

• Like 1

Had to change our valtra filters about 3 times as often recently, going to add a filter to the tanks pump so it has a clean before going into the tractor and after seeing this will definitely be keeping all machines filled as much as possible and tempted to ad a inline to the tractor as well as they are cheap as chips compared to the 100 odd quid for main one's

That’s why added the inline. So cheap and translucent to see the dirt.

We had a breakdown in our Defender a month or so ago. I was towing a Kubota tractor at the time. Got it into a layby luckily.

Got our service van out who picked up a new fuel filter on the way around and some fresh fuel. Couldn't get it running. Van took the trailer home and got the AA to drop the Defender back to our work.

Ended up with the tank off, as the pipework between the tank and fuel filter was full of black slime. Washed the tank out which again had loads of slime in it. Nice clean tank, filtered the fuel back in, new fuel filter and fuel filter head. Jobs a good un, back on the road. 500 miles later I noticed it didn't have quite the boost it did have, smoked a bit and felt a very slight misfire.

One injector was failing and also leaking oil. Just picked it up from the garage. Injectors seals, fire washers and a new injector. £500 later... Wonder whether it would of had the last issue if it didn't have the first issue....

Was with a SafeTrac today, recently had some running issues which seemed to clear once new filters had been fitted. I looked at the inline and it had black sludge in it! Advised the users to keep the tank full and keep filters in the van and at next service, pull and clean the tank! Wonder if I get this in my Ranger next when they finished sorting the Adblue issues!

On 10/12/2019 at 18:48, Canal Navvy said:

None , you can still get old fashioned gas oil for standby generators I'm told ?

I think fishing fleets and the like are still on non fame fuel, I also heard 1 refineries ery( I think in scotland) has lowered the % of bio in response to the issues we've been having recently 

I just found this article, they went to significant lengths to make the testing controlled. Importantly all the products had an effect, and then at around 0.5p per litre I'm starting to think additives may be cheaper than breaking down.

WWW.PBO.CO.UK

Diesel bug can clog filters and starve your boat engine of fuel just when you need it most. Can diesel bug treatments kill it off? We test 12 to find out