Husqvarna 61 on big oak optimal bar length and chain

cloggy

I just cut to heat mine and friends' houses, and for timber for my craft. I presently have a solid nose 30" bar on a decent running 051 and a couple of 50cc saws running roughly 16" blades, a 31 and a Mak 5121. I doubt either of those to can pull a bigger bar through oak. I've bought a black top 61 powerhead to learn on. I've checked the bore and piston and am getting a carb kit as it won't run on the hi jet. If I sort that, what bar and chain is this likely to pull? I assume that this is a high torque motor rather than a fast cutter as specs say up to a 24"  bar, so a firewood saw. I know I can put a bigger jug on it but it seems in good condition as is.

A massive oak has come down on the estate, well over 4' across, and I've got the stem and branches  that   a friend's 16" bar can't deal with. What do experienced loggers think  the best bar combo  would be for me?

Edited by cloggy

I agree 18" would be best, a 20 absolute maximum, turn oil pump to maximum, check AV rubbers as they will be quite soft or broken on an old saw, there is a hard version AV rubber if you use longer bars, the vibration however will increase with these rubbers.

On 07/12/2019 at 23:06, cloggy said:

A massive oak has come down on the estate, well over 4' across, and I've got the stem and branches  that   a friend's 16" bar can't deal with. What do experienced loggers think  the best bar combo  would be for me?

Your 051 has the capacity already, nearly 90cc and 30" bar.