Husqvarna 357 rebuild

Toad

8 hours ago, adw said:

Quite correct Steve, however there is something strange in those pictures, that's not a 357 filter holder or just a bad picture, and the black plate between the metering diaphragm and cover would say its a compensator carb, but the breather hole in the pump cover would say its not?

I'll get more photos and check the part no. on the filter too. I just assumed it was correct, but the gasket between the filter holder and the carb just didn't seem quite right, the spindle for the choke butterfly for example is slightly exposed to the elements. If it makes any difference, there is a small tube that runs up into the filter that looks like it ought to provide airflow for a strato port or something. I don't remember looking at the carb to see where it went. 

I'll see if I can get more identifying marks from the carb too. Thanks for your interest!

9 minutes ago, timbernut said:

The only 357 I’ve seen with that filter holder was a really early one which also had decompressor on the side of the saw and I can’t see hole for it on top cover?
Good job getting it goin again tho!emoji106.png

The plate on the side shows it is a late saw and it has a normal push button decomp on it, however, the one I got for spares with it was an early saw which did have the auto decompression so I wonder if it's been swapped on in the past. Sadly I know nothing of it's history other than it ended up on Ebay with a knackered crankshaft.

• Like 1

Just now, spudulike said:

If a later decomp has been fitted, the union on the back of the cylinder transfer will have to be sealed or removed and plugged.

Did the late saws have this union too? I didn't notice it on stripping and assumed that it wasn't fitted to this saw as it already had the decomp in the cylinder.

Thanks Steve. As far as I know it is a late cylinder. It has good compression, and apart from the knackered crank didn't seem to have had much done to it although many of the bolts were nowhere near what I would consider tight when I stripped it.

I do have a spare piston and early cylinder from the donor saw, plus a spare flywheel side of the crankcase if anyone is desperate for one.