Buying a MEWP

JimE

Im looking at buying a used MEWP to make life easier with tree works. Im a land management contractor, so tree works are a small part of the buisness. I sub most work out, do a small amount of felling myself and also hire in climbers occasionally. To be fair a bit of tree works we just do with shears on machines.

Im considering buying a MEWP to carry out tree works for example crown lifting over tracks I cant help but think it will be much faster than climbing. My regular climber has relevant tickets.

Effectively, if I buy say a 5 year old diesel MEWP about 15m lift, am I going to regret it and wish I never spent the money, or is it going to be as epic as I want it to be?

Any anything specific to look for on a MEWP? Looking at Teupen as I have hired them before, and also a CMC machine has caught my eye.

• Like 1

My advice would be to steer well clear of a second hand Teupen. When they work they are amazing machines, but they are ridiculously complicated and the UK service agents are beyond terrible. All they want to do is service new machines - show them anything out of warranty and they can’t be bothered unless you throw tens of thousands at them. I would never consider anything Teupen again on the back of my experiences tbh. 

Remember that no mewp will do everything, and whatever you buy will end up being too small/big etc for certain jobs. Stick with hiring whenever you need one may be a better option?.

(The 20m cabstar mounted mewps look a decent buy though - that’s what I would look at if ever in the market again). 

Outreach is more important than working height in tree work too in my experience. 

• Like 3

If your only lifting over tracks and not planning on full crown reductions 15 - 17m will be plenty, we run a 14.5m landy and it's amazing what you can accomplishe with a bit of planning and creative thinking. IMG-20170404-WA0000.jpeg
Landy before respray next to a 24m tracked mewp
IMG-20190523-WA0001.jpeg
Off road ability and rough ground setup is a big bonus too

• Like 1

2 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

My advice would be to steer well clear of a second hand Teupen. When they work they are amazing machines, but they are ridiculously complicated and the UK service agents are beyond terrible. All they want to do is service new machines - show them anything out of warranty and they can’t be bothered unless you throw tens of thousands at them. I would never consider anything Teupen again on the back of my experiences tbh. 

Remember that no mewp will do everything, and whatever you buy will end up being too small/big etc for certain jobs. Stick with hiring whenever you need one may be a better option?.

(The 20m cabstar mounted mewps look a decent buy though - that’s what I would look at if ever in the market again). 

Outreach is more important than working height in tree work too in my experience. 

P