2 rope tangles

warren

When I did my CS38 about 6 years ago it was the other way round. We trained with two main ropes attached at all times (lanyard in for changeovers) it was very cumbersome and our harness bridges were really congested.
When it came to the assessment (access the tree, perform aerial rescue and pole rescue) the assessor wanted us to climb on one mainline and side strop only.

Love the consistency we finding in this industry ???[emoji85]

2 hours ago, Jake Andrews said:

Well done on passing bud, bet that was a relief. I agree that the climbing course should take longer with perhaps the aerial rescue a bolt on. I think I should also be mandatory for trainers to get on the tree with students and not just stay on the ground.
On a side note, I know you preferred one line and a strop but that wouldn’t have phased you if you didn’t know about it when taking the assessment. Sounds like you’ve had the hardest course in terms of adjusting your method but future students should find it easier as there will be no more comparison to different systems.

Yes I totally agree, future training will be in line with what it needs to be. The only down side will be the time constraints it takes for a novice to climb with two constant anchors, compared to one. But that's the way it goes I guess

Green man  wales .....have you got back to your trainer and informed him of what happened ??  he really should no longer be teaching methods which are out of date with H&S , neither should he be out of touch as to what the exam entails !!   there could be a case if you failed your assessment that you could make him reimburse you .....perhaps get in touch with which ever training body he is from and make them aware of the situation .... 

7 minutes ago, devon TWiG said:

Green man  wales .....have you got back to your trainer and informed him of what happened ??  he really should no longer be teaching methods which are out of date with H&S , neither should he be out of touch as to what the exam entails !!   there could be a case if you failed your assessment that you could make him reimburse you .....perhaps get in touch with which ever training body he is from and make them aware of the situation .... 

Yes, we had a good discussion on the day about what had happened, both with the assessor and the training centre. I informed the trainer as to what had happened as well. I also left a comment with the feedback form to the training body, explaining what had happened, and what my thoughts were of the situation. Always good to have a constructive conversation

• Like 1

On 10/12/2019 at 09:00, Green Man Wales said:

Just thought I'd stick my opinion in.

I trained for the CS38 from November the 25th to the 29th. My assessment was on Thursday the 5th of December. During my training I went from being cold, wet, pissed off, knackered, and wanting to quit on the Tuesday, to feeling pretty confident and good about myself on the Friday for sticking with it. The trainer was great, and really helped us through it (three to begin with, one dropped out). I ultimately went with one climbing rope and a strop.

Along comes the 5th. Driving the hour and ten minutes, feeling confident of passing. Arrived, only to find that our assessor was going to have to do it on the two anchor system. Devastated. Neither of us had trained for that. Managed to dig a couple more climbing ropes us, and decided to go for it. I wasn't leaving with out trying it. We passed. But it was way more complicated as a newbie. And the branch walking was........ awful. I felt less safe as there was too much now going on. I had felt very, very safe and happy using one anchor the week before. The assessor was also great, and the training centre was very understanding.

If this is the new standard, I would highly recommend that they look at the training, and adjust the courses respectively. Maybe and extra two days to consolidate your skills, or put the Aerial Rescue as another top up course after the climbing? This coming from the person who was probably the first in the country to get the two anchor assessment, having been trained on the one.

Sorry for the longer message, just felt like adding a fresh faced opinion.

Interesting comment as I have not long done my Climbing and Rope Rescue... I am soon to be doing the Chainsaw in a tree course and will have to implement the new system. But at this stage the training company and their instructors are still working out how the new system is to be implemented. I am hoping that will do a demonstration and information day to cover what we should know.

I have to say that I was very lucky that we had a very good trainer and assessor for out course.... The trainer was doing a 5x day course and because he wanted us to be good and pack in as much as he could he gave use an extra day and came in on a Saturday to do it... Top man?? The assesor also added value to what we was doing in the assessment..?? 

Edited by Jamie Jones

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/12/2019 at 20:18, htb said:

Suppose they will fine me for forcing myself to climb on one rope. Same goes for loler, fine me for forcing myself to climb on untested kit, if I have any doubts on kit it gets binned and replaced.

What’s so hard about recording that in regards to LOLER?