2 rope tangles

warren

Rock and ice climbers also aren't actively managing ropes while climbing though, they have a belayer doing that for them. Half ropes in these situations have many advantages and outside of sport climbing I would use them 90% of the time. 

This isn't to say a half rope style climbing setup can't be implemented in arb. I've seen people climbing on two 8mm lines through one mechanical device with great success, but that's obviously well outside of the W@H regs.  

• Like 2

Dont you need something like 100,000 signatures? Good look getting that!

Like I said, it’s something I’m looking into, but however many signatures it might attract , if they were representative of the higher percentage of the industry then not only does it make a bold statement but it has to count for something doesn’t it ?
....or we could just do nothing ? ??‍♂️
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, EdwardC said:

Rock and ice climbers have been using twin ropes for years. Not because the HSE said so, but because it's safer, and it's just become natural. Have a look at the half rope systems climbers use, that may be a good way forward. Afterall, just about all the kit you use comes from the climbing world.

Generally though rock and ice climbers are just going up. It's a different ball game entirely climbing around all the dimensions of a tree canopy.

Rock climbers have dynamic ropes ( stretchy ) they don't climb the rope. We often climb the rope which is static ( not stretchy) theirs is fall protection - ours is work position. Rock climbers can fall several metres and survive due to the stretch slowing the fall. We are not allowed to fall or be deaded. K

• Like 7

20 hours ago, Treerover said:

I think yes, the more under-pinning proof of unsuitability we have as an industry to petition or lobby government and get this over-turned the better......but I’m f*cked if I’m hauling round two ropes just to prove the point !! emoji23.png
I’m looking into the correct direct approach to petition this direct to government and get it overturned.
It’s a bloody farce and no mistake .
But your plan is a good one Warren

The all party parliamentary group on work at height would be a good start - I posted the link to contact details previously. 

I think the AA are linked to the all party horticulture group. 

Square peg round hole?? ?

Coincidentally, I had an unsolicited sales pitch from FSB today, cut them short to save her and my time. 

But if any arbs are members of FSB try getting them to lobby. (If it works let me know and I might change my opinion that they are a waste of oxygen)

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe

Two half ropes are mainly for trad climbing. sport climbing and abseiling is generally on one 9-10mm rope. Although two half ropes may be  a little safer on really sketchy anchors  they are also mainly used to prevent rope drag from unwanted redirects leading to a sticky situation. Which is kind of the opposite to two ropes in tree work.

Edited by Alexthetreesurgeon