Echo CS2511 issue?

5 shires

Got a problem with my favourite little pruning saw,my sweet perfect Echo Cs2511 stared playing up today for the first time.iam ok with saws for general stuff but when it gets complicated I have no idea,just not ever been my thing.

Anyway the problem i have is the chain starts to tighten by itself even when I leave a bit of slack in the chain it starts to tighten up to the point it just stops rotating like the chainbreak is on.

Must have taken the cover off a dozen times today to see what could be causeing the problem but nothing visible,sprocket cleaned out and runs freely...am stumped so before I take it in has anyone had the same problem and if yes what’s the solution to sort it.??

11 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

Have you checked the bar stud? Just thinking of this thread:

Can’t say I have but willcheck it tomorrow,thanks for that as if the bar stud is no more that would indicate why the bar may be moving forward?

Yep check the bar/drive sprocket and chain - post close up pics on here... if the sprocket is badly worn it can damage the drive links - could be an issue.. though not sure why it would cause the chain to get tighter. I don't think there is any way of the bar moving forward once you have tightened the side casing.

10 hours ago, billpierce said:

Also have a look at the chain. Check the drive links arent peened over. Have a had carving chain seem slack then run tight when in use. Turned out the chain was foobard - when you remove it you will know if the rivets arent moving freely.

8 hours ago, Rob D said:

Yep check the bar/drive sprocket and chain - post close up pics on here... if the sprocket is badly worn it can damage the drive links - could be an issue.. though not sure why it would cause the chain to get tighter. I don't think there is any way of the bar moving forward once you have tightened the side casing.

Thanks Bill & Rob will check all above...i’am one of those guys who has never been into messing about much with anything mechanical and get by if just basics,just feel it saves a lot of down time if you get into it to much especially on site,easier just to pick up the back up and crack in.Thanks again and will repost if and when sorted.? 

the Echo bars clog up quite easily especially on pine and poplar,  to clean the bar oil channel is quite tricky sometimes.  I use a stiff bristled brush, brake cleaner and the air line.  Do not tighten up the bar stud retaining nut too much as they can be a weak point.

Edited by wicklamulla