Good bow timber

Bowyer97

On 05/12/2019 at 22:55, gobbypunk said:

Hi just down the road from me is a small yew forest that apparently was planted for bow making ,obviously nobody’s managed it for that for yrs and yrs,if I get a chance I will take the dog for a run there and have a look,I know it’s miles but if you want to come and have a look then no worries 

Sounds like a potential treasure trove if it's got some clean shaded trees. Thanks for the heads up. I'm a bit too far away but I won't write it off.

Edited by Bowyer97
-Accidentally deleted original quote and typed my response in the quote box.

On 08/12/2019 at 15:06, stuckinthemud said:

It does, up to a point, nowt wrong with the Welsh yew I've used, you just need to be careful with your timber selection

I've heard off a few people that the Spanish/Italian stuff is largely hype but there's still a lot of people who insist it's the top yew. Advice from people might be quite highly affected by what they sell I suppose. I've read that the tightness of the grain isn't necessarily that important and the straightness of the tree the stave is taken from is important so there's no twisting grain. Also as knot free as possible is a must with a good proportion of latewood/earlywood. Ian Sturgeon for instance has a great reputation and offers English yew bows up to 150lb draw weight.  Asides from that could you recommend any criteria for a good piece? - Also where have you come across Italian yew being sold? Thanks for reading. Much appreciate your advice.

On 06/12/2019 at 22:37, stuckinthemud said:

Yew is the business, as is laburnum but your setting yourself up for a really long wait to get hold of any timber to use.  Hornbeam makes a great bow but is soo hard you may not want to work with it. Hazel makes a fabulous bow - its everywhere and can be force-dried if you're in a hurry; its the wood I started with and I can't recommend strongly enough that you start off with hazel.  Some species of holly can yield suitable timber, if your lucky you could also find straight sections of rhododendron or laurel but these need to be strapped down as they season or they'll twist all over the shop but they make incredible bows.

Derek Hutchinson is one of the very best bowyers and you really need to spend a few days reading his blog, it will be a crash-course in bow building with British timbers for you.  Also, if you need 7ft long sections, I guess you want to dive straight into building longbows?  I would work up to this as they can be really tricky to make. Maybe start off with a few bend-through-the-handle flat-bows - allow double your draw length plus 10%, so if you draw 26", then all you need is a stave 60 inches long which is much easier to come by than 94" long.  Also, you should definitely check out the Primitive Archer forum. Good Luck.

This is some great advice. There's quite a lot of Ash and Wych Elm where I am. I'm intending to start on stone age style bows and move on to longbows gradually as I gain experience. However I'm looking to stockpile yew while I'm fairly well off and if getting it green, give it plenty of time to season while I gain experience. Thanks for your time.

On 08/12/2019 at 08:30, Rough Hewn said:

I did have a stash of 6'-8' ash poles. But most got eaten by the firewood guy.
If you want, you can pop by my yard and have a rummage. Or where are you based, as I travel a lot?
emoji106.png

That'd be great. I live in Halifax but I'm pretty much based in Lancaster as that's where my dad's workshop is and where I'd be able to store wood. Do you know where to source Spanish Yew? All the best, H.

Ok , so, Derek is passionate in his insistence that British yew is as good as imported stuff. He has worked on foreign yew and points out that you are totally at the mercy of the merchant and they are not always fussy in their stock selection. If you buy local you can sort out the best material.  I have used British yew and found it to be excellent. Witch Elm is an awesome bow wood and historically correct for the bows you want to start off with.  Have you stumbled across the Wood Lots web-site?  Most of the stuff on there is too far south for you perhaps, but its worth keeping an eye on.

Edited by stuckinthemud