Christmas Presents made from wood

Billhook

Just been cruising both the local towns and the web for presents and find them all full of vacuous tat, probably made in China

Trying to think of something I could make for my wife which would demonstrate love rather than expecting her  to do chores.  This rules out chopping boards, bread boards, cheese boards, wooden salad implements, gardening tools.

I thought that I might find an interesting piece of yew with lots of little branches that I could mount on a plinth and call it a ring/ bracelet holder.  The only trouble with that is she might expect me to decorate it!

Little coffee table perhaps ,

Swedish candle is a bit too easy

Most of us have a lot of wood around and i m sure loved ones appreciate the effort of making something unique, even if it is not grade one.

I have looked through the woodcraft forum but could not find anything there.

Anyone with any ideas?

6 hours ago, se7enthdevil said:

i did read of a turner on facebook that made an "ol chap" for his missus as he was in the Navy and often not around to provide...

it could have been a joke?

Oh Christ! This thread now will run and run. Possibly a new low has been plumbed, just to keep the Naval theme going. I await Mr Johnson's reply with bated breath.

My mate was a 30 year man in the RN and told me a tale of one of his shipmates who had a particularly nasty party piece. He'd had one of his nuts bitten off in a fight and had it replaced by a prostestic one. His party piece whilst pissed was to wallop his sac onto a convient bar table and announce that for a pint, he would hit his nuts with the bottom of a pint pot. Of course he didn't explain he only had one real one. Grown men apparently vomited after his performance, hitting the false one and showing no discomfort at all. However, one time he was so pissed, he started the trick, sac on table, hit his nut but unfortunately he hit the real one. He vomited. A true story. Matelots are very peculiar people.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Woodlover said:

I made this simple tea light holder years ago from pallet wood, my other half liked it...Make it as long as you like and even paint it to match existing styles ect...Suppose ya could even engrave names on the hearts?

tlighth2.jpg

tlighth1.jpg

That is the sort of thing.  Keep 'em coming