SKY TV RIP OFF

topchippyles

1 minute ago, The avantgardener said:

I don’t watch TV but I bet watching a blockbuster on one that expensive is fantastic, is the sound good as standard or do you need separate speakers?

Yeh movies are great. I have a soundbar and Woofer. Takes up very little space and packs a punch. But Im banned from using it by the wife as Id wake the babies up. :D  But to be honest 99% of my Movie viewing is off-shore as its the only real spare time I get. Top of the range Laptop, Bose Headphones and a bag of sweeties in the Rec Room. :D Lovely. 

2 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

I choose not to have a TV, why would I want or need one?

In the last few years I have read many hundreds of your posts Mr Eggs, and it is fair to say I have not always entirely agreed with all your views.  But on this topic I think you are spot on. 

Apparently we live such busy lives we have no time for this that and the other, yet the average person in the UK watches nearly 4 hours a day.  Many people have to have TV on all the time they are at home - in every room.  I have no problem with a bit of relaxing TV but I think the amount we watch is unhealthy.

In fact there is even evidence TV makes you fat!  Apparently you use less calories when watching TV than when sleeping.  And I agree with you, switch off the TV and people talk.

I’m with Eggs, and could happily live without TV, although we have a few.

The kids watch a bit, but the wife is a bit like Squaredy describes above.

Drives me nuts when she starts ironing and shit in the morning before work pretending she’s some kind of super hardworking exec, when in fact it’s stuff that could easily been done instead of watching Strictly Essex on Ice or some such shite.

All my friends know if I go round their house and the TV is on I will simply leave unless we have agreed to watch a film or something. Big sporting occasions like the rugby or football World Cups are obvious exceptions.

It’s the height of bad manners to have some old crap numbing everyone’s brain in the background.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

In the last few years I have read many hundreds of your posts Mr Eggs, and it is fair to say I have not always entirely agreed with all your views.  But on this topic I think you are spot on. 

Apparently we live such busy lives we have no time for this that and the other, yet the average person in the UK watches nearly 4 hours a day.  Many people have to have TV on all the time they are at home - in every room.  I have no problem with a bit of relaxing TV but I think the amount we watch is unhealthy.

In fact there is even evidence TV makes you fat!  Apparently you use less calories when watching TV than when sleeping.  And I agree with you, switch off the TV and people talk.

I can't believe that you haven't entirely agreed with all my views over the years...

The only time I miss having a TV is when the Test Cricket is on, possibly the boxing, I've lost interest in football and never been one to watch films. Don't get me wrong I'll go to the pub to watch sporting events but I couldn't justify having a TV and paying Sky or whoever.

5 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

I’m with Eggs, and could happily live without TV, although we have a few.

The kids watch a bit, but the wife is a bit like Squaredy describes above.

Drives me nuts when she starts ironing and shit in the morning before work pretending she’s some kind of super hardworking exec, when in fact it’s stuff that could easily been done instead of watching Strictly Essex on Ice or some such shite.

All my friends know if I go round their house and the TV is on I will simply leave unless we have agreed to watch a film or something. Big sporting occasions like the rugby or football World Cups are obvious exceptions.

It’s the height of bad manners to have some old crap numbing everyone’s brain in the background.

Cross posted with similar views, mate.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

I can't believe that you haven't entirely agreed with all my views over the years...

The only time I miss having a TV is when the Test Cricket is on, possibly the boxing, I've lost interest in football and never been one to watch films. Don't get me wrong I'll go to the pub to watch sporting events but I couldn't justify having a TV and paying Sky or whoever.

There’s not been any decent Boxing on terrestrial TV since the Benn v Eubanks days, all pay per view and subscription, and the day that the great David Attenborough dies will be the final nail in the coffin of the BBC and TV licensing.

• Like 2

I've never had sky, or any subscription tv service

We don't watch a huge amount of tv, and was actually thinking about cancelling the tv licence over the summer, just too busy, seemed to go weeks without turning the telly on

Edited by scbk