Square ground chain

Moley

the rivet are a bit thinned and tie straps are beveled ,,, but this is not an "extreme" race chain but it runs good !!

The chain is not built by me but by Dave Neiger "Big Dave" a saw builder from USA if remember correctly, I got it from him about five years ago :)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Well Al I finally got me some double bevel and Goofy files from Save edge.

Ive tried the double bevel on a couple of teeth and it dont seem so difficult!

In a moment of boredom i shapened the chain on the 262XP with a round file then remembered Frank "Crofter" suggested a few rubs with a Goofy would improve a round filed chain.

I went from inside out and lined the corner up really well and it woks a treat the improvement in speed was very notacable.

They are not true Goofy filed yet as the far end of the top plate from the corner has not been got at yet.

No real idea about angles yet just going with what seems right to me.

Wow, what a thread just learnt heaps about square chains and racing chains. I have found myself looking further into chains recently after i started milling timber so i went from ripping chains, then heard about skipping chains so swapped my large bar chain and noticed improvements. Have filled a full chisel chain to 10 degrees by accident (whilst felling and millling) worked a treat really. Now i want to have a go doing a race chain type thingy....:thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Only just seen that this thread is still going! Does anyone have a guide on square grinding chains, I would like to give it a go but Im not sure where to start. Or has something already been posted and I missed it?

• 6 months later...

mad craic this chain chat...................chain, bar, sporcket, chain pieces the lot, i absltly agree very important in our trade. if you dont know, defo do as yer man does - fire a loock of manuals beside the bog seat and dont waste precious time !

On a brighter note, not that long ago, may be 10-12 yrs ago, in a place called scandanavia (nice), research proved that yer saw pants = pile cushion when using chains sharpened at acute angles ie this craic or the way mickeys garden machinery repairs (using the grinder type yoke unknowingly or with out edumacation). Alledgedly the acuteness of angle slices the kevlar (or whatever else) threading rather than chian sharpened by round file whereby the result of this type of filing ensures the curved side plate cutting edge draggs at the kevlar (r whatever) threads.

food for yousens.

but tis only a bit of info on this near dead thread