Stovax

Hi all,

I’m in the process of purchasing a Stovax Studio 500 freestanding stove but due to it being a new model, there are hardly any reviews on it.

What I am coming across are a lot negative reviews on Stovax’s other stoves. Has anyone got a Stovax and can provide some feedback on it?

Thanks

46 minutes ago, neiln said:

into year 4 with a stockton 5, no trouble at all so far

The biggest single thing I don't like about my daughter's  is that you need an oven glove to open the door. My Morso can be opened bare handed, it also has a bigger firebox, Mind it was double the cost of the Stockton.

The easiest way to make stoves up is a welding glove you just do what you want with out burning hand. 

Have a Stockton 5 only problem was door catch ran out of adjustment got a new one no different was welded a extra piece of steel on and have never had a problem did tell stovax but heard a thing. 

They are steel construction so just bend when they get to hot if you forget you left damper open 

Edited by woody paul

if its the mk2 stockton 5 like mine with the thick cushioning door rope then I've not had trouble with the door latch, but I always push the door firmly shut rather than just twisting the knob and making the latch drawer the door tight.    As for bending or warping, I'm largely of the view that a small stove run on wood can't be over fired on a single load, it just burns through it before the stove is too hot for too long.  Fingers crossed I don't curse myself but....I reckon the damaged stoves are run on coal and over fired, or run on the wrong coal which burns too hot.  ok...if you do repeated hot reloads with small splits of wood you can probably damage a stove but that takes effort.  I run 2 small stoves hard in the winter months, heating the whole house, and the stockton has seen flue temps at over 400C when I've put a bit too much wood on it a few times, its done it no harm at all.

• 3 weeks later...

I have gone with the Stovax and feel confident that it will be a great stove. I did discuss my concerns with the stove shop and they made a very good point that Stovax are one of the biggest stove/heating manufacturers in the UK so naturally sell more units which generates more positive/negative reviews. Plus reading a lot of the negative reviews, I think a lot could be down to user error.