Opico Skidster or sherpa mini loaders

swinny

36 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

What would you go for if you were only allowed one attachment mate?

That’s the problem I can see with these machines - too many bloody useful options!

Log grab is the thing I use the most. 

I have the smaller bucket but have yet to use it. 

The only thing else I need to get is a plate with a tow ball to move the chipper around. 

IMG_20220223_083805.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, benedmonds said:

We have not gone down the multiple attachment route with our Avant. I think about it often but find a simple set of pallet forks is fantastic. I have not used so can not be sure but not sure you need to grab often. 

Maybe an owner operator it would be more productive, but we already find when the  Avant is onsite the operator gets stuck to the seat and will often spend longer fannying about then doing it by man power.

The thought of loading the chipper and the likely damage if they had a grab and it would likely result in with  one man watching the stop bar while another rams it with the grab just frightens me.

You are successfully evading the biggest advantages that the machine brings - how about letting someone learn how to efficiently operate the machine? Gently and precisely feed a chipper, drag brash around a house, switch to a bucket and clean up all the stump grindings then load the timber onto the truck.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Dilz said:

Yeah I can see how the high capacity bucket is the way to go for moving any serious amounts of dirt / or especially when  chipping into it - I can load more in my wheelbarrow than the standard 76cm bucket but I shifted a few tonnes of soil in no time with it but it was just a lot of trips, so wore a bit of a path on my lawn. 

just checked with the dealer and he has a high volume bucket in - so its just a question which I would find more useful - the grab bucket of the high volume bucket. Doing mostly just tree work possibly the grab bucket seems the way to go - choices choices. 

Your financing it? Just stick extra attachments on the tab. I started with a 76cm grab bucket, normal wider bucket and a leveller, I’ve already added pallet forks and a 76cm high capacity bucket. You just have to have multiple attachments, as Mick so eloquently put it 😂

2 hours ago, benedmonds said:

We have not gone down the multiple attachment route with our Avant. I think about it often but find a simple set of pallet forks is fantastic. I have not used so can not be sure but not sure you need to grab often. 

Maybe an owner operator it would be more productive, but we already find when the  Avant is onsite the operator gets stuck to the seat and will often spend longer fannying about then doing it by man power.

The thought of loading the chipper and the likely damage if they had a grab and it would likely result in with  one man watching the stop bar while another rams it with the grab just frightens me.

The nice thing about the Sherpa type loaders is that it’s no trouble to step off the back. So people do that rather than faff about as you find with the avant. 

2 hours ago, treevolution said:

Log grab is the thing I use the most. 

I have the smaller bucket but have yet to use it. 

The only thing else I need to get is a plate with a tow ball to move the chipper around. 

IMG_20220223_083805.jpg

Make one up that just the hooks over the backplate. Much lighter and so easier to carry with you. I’ll get a photo of mine. 

Edited by doobin
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, doobin said:

Your financing it? Just stick extra attachments on the tab. I started with a 76cm grab bucket, normal wider bucket and a leveller, I’ve already added pallet forks and a 76cm high capacity bucket. You just have to have multiple attachments, as Kev so eloquently put it. 

The nice thing about the Sherpa type loaders is that it’s no trouble to step off the back. So people do that rather than faff about as you find with the avant. 

Make one up that just the hooks over the backplate. Much lighter and so easier to carry with you. I’ll get a photo of mine. 

That would be a great help and save some money. 

Ramps worked a treat and very easy to load on to the van, really appreciate the help. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, doobin said:

Stepping on and off instantly is one of the things that appeals to me the most about these machines 👌👌

• Like 2

16 hours ago, william127 said:

Stepping on and off instantly is one of the things that appeals to me the most about these machines 👌👌

Its super efficient - at 6"ft 3 with size 13 feet I find most loaders a pain in the arse to clamber in and out of - this is great - need to cut or move something, restack the pile etc - just hop off and back on again.   

• Like 2

On 25/02/2022 at 23:05, doobin said:

Your financing it? Just stick extra attachments on the tab. I started with a 76cm grab bucket, normal wider bucket and a leveller, I’ve already added pallet forks and a 76cm high capacity bucket. You just have to have multiple attachments, as Mick so eloquently put it

Is there any disadvantage to just getting the high volume 76cm bucket instead of the standard 76cm bucket? Cant see the point in having both unless there is something obvious I'm missing. 

3 minutes ago, Dilz said:

Its super efficient - at 6"ft 3 with size 13 feet I find most loaders a pain in the arse to clamber in and out of - this is great - need to cut or move something, restack the pile etc - just hop off and back on again.   

Yep,  I'm similar 👍

1 hour ago, Dilz said:

Is there any disadvantage to just getting the high volume 76cm bucket instead of the standard 76cm bucket? Cant see the point in having both unless there is something obvious I'm missing. 

Carries as much as the wider bucket. Standard 76cm bucket is too small to be any use in my opinion. 

• Like 1