Opico Skidster or sherpa mini loaders

swinny

3 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

The customer wanted to keep all the wood and move it himself, so we bust it into handball sized lumps.

He changed his mind when he realised how much there was, so called me back in.

How unusual. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/06/2022 at 08:04, doobin said:

OK, it's wet. If it clears up I'm off topping. If it stays wet, then today's job is to make.... a mancrate for the Sherpa!

It'll be the perfect thing to increase profit and safety on your average large back garden hedge. I've tested it with my current crate and the forks, and it doesn't tip over once you climb in although it rocks about some! So I'm going to fabricate a smaller crate mounted direct to the loader hitch, as I can see an awful lot of uses for it.

Most of the time you'll drive up to the hedge and set it 'against' the hedge to reach the top- being able to push in to the hedge like this makes a heavy reduction on a hedge that's only been tickled for years a lot easier.

I have a mate who recently lost a finger to a hedge cutter when the ladder gave way, so I don't care what anyone says- this will be safer than a ladder.

How did you get on with this Reuben?

We tried an economy version today with a piece of thin ply layed across the grab.

Works a treat.

I’ll probably make a safety rail with some blue polyprop then we are good to go!

D296BD3A-1666-495C-AE50-D3279F38CC9D.jpeg

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

We tried an economy version today with a piece of thin ply layed across the grab.

Works a treat.

I’ll probably make a safety rail with some blue polyprop then we are good to go!

All done, comes in at 70kg and works a treat. Will get a photo tomorrow. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

Works a treat.

I really must get a bollard on my grab…

Have you worked out the trick for anchoring with the grab yet? Rotate the pincer into digger thumb orientation (as opposed to scorpion orientation), open it and use the thumb half of the grab like a winch spade. Dig in behind roots for extra hold. You can get a bit of pre-tension on if you nod the grab back while you pierce the thumb down into the ground. Once you get good, you can retract it cleanly and leave a barely visible hole. While you’re getting good, you’ll dig geet holes in your customers’ lawns. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

Works a treat.

Here you go. 

ACB824CE-22ED-4A24-AF3F-9CC7A70F763E.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stampy said:

Awesome. Just hope to god you don't hit a pothole 😅

It'll be set next the hedge you want to cut and then climb in to it I think. It's really for those nasty wide ones in back gardens. The beauty of a man crate is that you can push it into the hedge for more reach if needed, and you can be a lot more exuberant with the cutters than if you were working off a ladder.

Basically it's no higher than a stepladder, but much more stable.

• Like 1