Should a referendum on Scottish independence only include people living in Scotland?

Baldbloke

So you want independence
And all the benefits right away?

I’m not following? What benefits do you imagine I’m wanting? The same as I receive in Norway? Personally it won’t matter to me as I’ll continue to receive them from Norway regardless. Scotland under the SNP will never offer anything even remotely equivocal because their voter base are dossers. You’d need an adult party to come in and make the changes that are needed but Scotland simply does not want these changes. But “benefits” was not one of the three main reasons I gave in reply to your question. Clearly you’re not happy with that so you head off on another spurious tangent.

I’m not following? What benefits do you imagine I’m wanting? The same as I receive in Norway? Personally it won’t matter to me as I’ll continue to receive them from Norway regardless. Scotland under the SNP will never offer anything even remotely equivocal because their voter base are dossers. You’d need an adult party to come in and make the changes that are needed but Scotland simply does not want these changes. But “benefits” was not one of the three main reasons I gave in reply to your question. Clearly you’re not happy with that so you head off on another spurious tangent.

You’re worse than my brother, fucking Norway. Two on four off! Expensive
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Mull said:

You’re worse than my brother, fucking Norway. Two on four off! Expensive

Im not 2 on 4 off. Im 4 on 4 off, but in my work period if Im not needed I just wait at home, so end up doing less days than someone on a 2/4. Yes, for the Norwegian Sector it must be very expensive. They tried to drop it in the last down turn but the Unions stopped it. 

So there is no reason why this cannot happen here in the UK/Scotland is there? :) 

5 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Im not 2 on 4 off. Im 4 on 4 off, but in my work period if Im not needed I just wait at home, so end up doing less days than someone on a 2/4. Yes, for the Norwegian Sector it must be very expensive. They tried to drop it in the last down turn but the Unions stopped it. 

So there is no reason why this cannot happen here in the UK/Scotland is there? :) 

As a contractor I’d be happy to see more of the Norwegian style employees rights, benefits and even taxes come in to the UK sector rather than the absolute cut throat use you and dump you mentality that is in place. I’m taxed schedule D which is NI at source and the rest through self assessment so basically no difference tax wise to an employee yet we get nothing ie no holiday, sickness, pension or any of the benefits an employee would get, also open your mouth at the wrong time and you are goosed, ie you just don’t get the call back. I’ve been in the RMT for years and quite frankly unless you are involved in trains they are not interested. Chatting to a Norwegian crane op on deck couple of days ago and he retires at 62 with the same wage or 80% of it I’m not quite sure of the figures. The way they are looked after is incredible, he was asked to start a trip early and do overtime for which the entire trip was paid at triple time. Crazy thing is the tax they are on for what they get back when you break it down and get over the 41% level here in Scotland actually is not that much different. The thing that bothers me the most is this whole pension thing ticking away waiting to bite us all on the arse in a few years time. 

1 minute ago, Johnsond said:

As a contractor I’d be happy to see more of the Norwegian style employees rights, benefits and even taxes come in to the UK sector rather than the absolute cut throat use you and dump you mentality that is in place. I’m taxed schedule D which is NI at source and the rest through self assessment so basically no difference tax wise to an employee yet we get nothing ie no holiday, sickness, pension or any of the benefits an employee would get, also open your mouth at the wrong time and you are goosed, ie you just don’t get the call back. I’ve been in the RMT for years and quite frankly unless you are involved in trains they are not interested. Chatting to a Norwegian crane op on deck couple of days ago and he retires at 62 with the same wage or 80% of it I’m not quite sure of the figures. The way they are looked after is incredible, he was asked to start a trip early and do overtime for which the entire trip was paid at triple time. Crazy thing is the tax they are on for what they get back when you break it down and get over the 41% level here in Scotland actually is not that much different. The thing that bothers me the most is this whole pension thing ticking away waiting to bite us all on the arse in a few years time. 

The Unions in the UK seem quite useless. All talk and no action, but I think the members make the real difference in Norway. If Baker or Schlumberger are having their rights removed then Halliburton employee's will join them on Strike. Its very well organised and the Unions tell the Service Companies and Operators which Rigs they will take out of action. They will then try and mediate till the issue is resolved. Often it ends up as a Strike and we'll go on strike to get the rights of the competitor back, or improved. These guys are risking their jobs for guys who dont even work in the same company. Its really quite something. The Companies are banned from using other workers to cover the guys on Strike, from Norway or the UK (for example) The Union members will then patrol the Heli-ports making sure you're not going to that particular rig to fill the role of the position thats on Strike. Then the Rig has to shut down Drilling as they need these positions. This puts a lot of pressure on the Service Companies not only from the Union but from the likes of Shell as they are losing out big time. Its generally soon resolved. 

Yes, over time is great! I think Ive had close to 40 days OT this year. But we only get OT in our off periods, or if our trip goes past 14 days in our on-period. 

The State Pension in Norway is another great example of a country rewarding hard work. You pay into your own state pension pot. The more you earn the more you personally pay in. Its capped though, at something like 100,000nok a year. So I have at least 1,000,000nok in my personal State Pension. When I retire (62 or 67) I get that sum divided over the current life expectancy time period. So if the average is 82 years when you kick it, then whatever's in your own pot is divided over 20 years. In the UK regardless what you pay in tax you'll end up with the same pension as a SmackHead. And are the SNP planning on a State Pension like Norway? Of course not. :D 

Im on 46% tax. But like most people I overpay 12% that gets paid back in Junes salary. Its called Holiday pay as Holidays are not covered by the employer. But 12% back in June is a nice tax free (already paid) lump sum. All over time  and off-shore bonus is taxed 50%. Norway still allows you to claim back 25% on the interest paid on Mortgages. That really adds up, could be as much as £3000 back in the summer. 

I pay my NI here in Scotland as well. Just to keep my contributions ticking over and to use the NHS. Another 6 years and I'll have the 30 years needed for a full State Pension, whatever that will be by the time I actually retire. Bugger all I'll assume. 

• Like 1