Two-rope Working - an update

AA Teccie (Paul)

I trained in September 2019 and qualified October 2019 on the Climbing & Aerial Rescue. The whole course was done with single DRT & Flipline/Lanyard.... Great Course, Instructor and Examiner.
It was mentioned that the two rope method was coming in very soon and at that point they they had no guidelines from the NPTC as to how that should be taught and they (the instructors) were looking at how they taught it. We didn't get any instruction or practice on the two rope system as that had not been implemented in the training or qualification criteria.

The only thing that was explain was it would be a doubling up of the DRT method on what should be a separate anchor point...

I have asked the training company if they are going to be doing a day with a demonstration and explanation of how the law now has to be implemented. I am waiting to hear back as to what is being organised...

I would not wish to knock the training company or it's instructors as they are very good at what they do. I think that the problem is with the Arboricultural Association. Looking at their website it only seems to have a ‘draft for consultation’ for the second edition of the AA’s ‘Industry Code of Practice for Arboriculture – Tree Work at Height’ (ICoP) – First edition published in 2015.

So nothing seems to have been finalised as of yet. So where that leaves us professionally I don't know as the ICoP has not been finalised, does that mean we have to implement it?

WWW.TREES.ORG.UK

<h2 class= dblue bold >Revised Industry Code of Practice for Arboriculture – Tree Work at Height</h2> <h1 class=...

It seems that the HSE want us to adopt the 2005 WAH regulations immediately. No ifs, no buts. You will not be insured if you come a cropper, while working on just the one line. You have to gain a qualification for the purposes of climbing using a rope & harness. Surely, because using 2 ropes has completely different implications for the climber, there must be the same requirement for training and understanding the differing scenarios that may be encountered, and ways of dealing with emergencies. This is all very different. You may adopt the 2 rope working system, but are you doing it correctly? Until you have been trained, are you willing to put yourself in that situation? Shouldn't there be a period of grace, until proper training and guidelines have been implemented? That way, at least you can make an informed decision, even if it be the same one I'm thinking of ie, I've been doing this for 30 years(accident free), it's hard enough already, don't know if I can  be arsed with throwing a load more spanners in the works. Might just call it a day. What do I know though?

• Like 4

I have been wondering about this and the more I think about it the more I get annoyed at the unnecessary revenue that will be lost /created by having to retrain.

I have climbed SRT for quite a few years now, probably 95% of the time.  The trainers I have seen, the refresher course I did 3 years ago and the 4 Arb Association Approved contractor assessors barely knew about SRT.  

Granted, a retired old school climber/come trainer can easily adapt to teach a Prussic to a Hitch Climber for example, but how can they be expected to teach a commercial level of SRT climbing and then add another system into the mix.

There were two such characters dressed like Harlequins at the APF Last Year.  Apparently, they are now amongst the forerunners of the twin rope SRT training.  How can that be so?

In the past, teachers had earned their craft and passed on the skills to the students.  Twin SRT is so new, how can they suddenly be an expert, when I very much doubt they climb commercially anymore, fullstop!

• Like 4

Massively pissed off with this. Lot of the points that have been raised are valid. 

Wish we had someone with a stronger back bone to find some direction etc. This cannot be just thrown on us. As said above, trainers need guidance, then new courses and quale, new equipt to sort use and get used to. 

No confidence in the AA at all from me. Very dissapointed

• Like 4

I wonder who will be 1st to try reclaiming training costs from the last year or so saying they have been incorrectly and inadequately trained not to industry standards if said old school trainer hasn't insisted or even bothered with twin rope system. If one trys and is successful it could have a ver interesting back lash from all training providers against this do called update.....

5 minutes ago, Gray git said:

I wonder who will be 1st to try reclaiming training costs from the last year or so saying they have been incorrectly and inadequately trained not to industry standards if said old school trainer hasn't insisted or even bothered with twin rope system. If one trys and is successful it could have a ver interesting back lash from all training providers against this do called update.....

No doubt AA will cash in somewhere along the line.

Wonder if AA contractors will have to be re assessed now then as should be on two lines... Should do imo! They won't be happy I bet at extra costs. 

I could go on but what's the point. Shite situation by some pricks with a clip board.

• Like 7