Looking for Hardwood Chips, Cambridge

E Ward

A member on here (based in Lancashire, can’t remember his name, hasn’t posted in ages) has a system of willow coppards for his chickens that I thought looked pretty good. He cuts the willow trees at waist height. They coppice/pollard/coppard (cut them and they grow back vigorously, multiple stems). They provide shade as they grow for a few years and the chickens wander round underneath them. He then cuts and chips the new growth onto the ground. Repeat in another few years and/or do some different ones next year. Apparently willow has some antiseptic qualities that are good for staving off feather rot etc.

You have to pay for chip with no bark (such as play park chip) because that's a forestry product. Somewhere like Madingley Mulch have a range of stuff to choose from.

On the other hand you can have mixed arb chip for free, if you can take a van load and we can just tip it off eg onto the drive. Smaller quantities are possible but that's just a delivery so there are usually some beer tokens involved. If you are on the west side of Cambridge I'll be passing a lot more often so can probably drop some off if you let me know where.

Our chickens are fine on the free chip, they don't have expensive tastes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We made a donation and collected some rescue chickens recently as the fox had been busy with a few of ours. 

I received a bit of a dressing down for collecting the birds in a box lined with clean hay (it was all I had to hand).

‘You know hay can stick in their crop’ etc etc. 

Incredibly, against all odds they all survived the journey home in their toxic environment... 

Hay is also bad as it can contain mould spores...

I was only answering Marks question, i.e. most advice from qualified poultry experts (i.e. vets) is to not use hay, bark etc in runs as they can be bad for hens. This may explain why someone is asking for bark free chippings.

I would happily use some arb waste but there's plenty of stuff I'd avoid as it goes mouldy almost instantly.