Best winch (for Avant 760?)

cjdg

Advice needed on winches to remove very large logs (up to 1 metre diam 4.5 m long "just" able to be picked up with the large Avant Grab without - too often! - tipping up) ideally using the Avant.   The thinking is to put the winch on the back where the weights usually are perhaps by extending the mountings so as to get some weights and the winch on at the same time and using skids or similar to haul the logs over boggy and other ground where the Avant cannot reach.

It may be that the consensus of opinion is to have the which on a separate wheeled frame to attach to stumps.  

What is the best machine and what power source? Battery does not sound feasible for all day work but might be ok for the odd job here and there.  Having it on the Avant is a bonus as I have spent hours getting it out of bogs and soft ground with ropes bit at a time using the extending arm - very boring

Chris

Avant is hydrostatic = hydraulic, since ALL the Avant gadgets are hydraulic powered,  

ERGO a sodding large hydraulic winch, so  the world is yer Oyster!

Whadda ye know, see link;

https://www.avanttecno.com/za/attachments/winch

But tis only a wee 1000Kg toy?

This site;

WWW.METARIS.COM

Calculate the Hydraulic (fluid power) horsepower.

gives 35 HP, after converting the Avant oil flow and pressure to Freedom Units

So even look at a standard 3 -5 tonne tractor linkage mounted forestry winch, but modified to mount to the rear of the Avant,

with a suitable Hydraulic PTO, Ex Whitehouse Hydraulics or other similar supplier.

And at least with the hydrostatic drive  Avant there is no need to worry about cooling the hard working  hyd fluid.

Edited by difflock

Thanks for the replies.  I should have explained that I need the Avant with the "useful" attachments attached and to have the capacity of using the winch to get me out of trouble when I get stuck hence my comments of putting it on the back as recommended by Paul Helps.  The sort of logs I will be hauling out and which may well get stuck in mud might well have the Avant moving instead of the log!  If it is on the back, I can at least use the log forwarder grips to hang onto a tree when I pull the log out.  I might need something that I can cart about the wood using my forwarder, grab or pallet forks and have it independently mounted to a fixed tree or stump.  Never done this before hence the seeking of advice...

I'd just go for some sort of Hydraulic winch and mount it directly on the chasis of ur Avant, somewhere out the way.

Must admit not overly familiar with Avant design but I'd also add a couple of old fashioned fold down spades ( like u get on old fashioned Broughton/cooked type winches ) that will dig in when the tension is on. Very simple design and ucould probably attach with pins to removable if in the way for normal every day use.

4 minutes ago, drinksloe said:

I'd just go for some sort of Hydraulic winch and mount it directly on the chasis of ur Avant, somewhere out the way.

Must admit not overly familiar with Avant design but I'd also add a couple of old fashioned fold down spades ( like u get on old fashioned Broughton/cooked type winches ) that will dig in when the tension is on. Very simple design and ucould probably attach with pins to removable if in the way for normal every day use.

Much the same as in the picture above winch on demountable bracket on rear with drop down anchor 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone out there within fighting range of OXFORD who knows of any competent person or firm that could set me up with, ideally, a second hand winch with all the hydraulics installed as it is clear to me that I (to put it politely) need guidance and at my time of life I would rather pay to get it done right.  

Chris