Which retort?!

Hi all, thank you so much for your input. I'm going to check out the presvess and the Exeter in action and then make a decision! All the best
Dave
Hi all, not sure if using the old thread is wise but I'm going to go for it! Having done the sums a few times and read from many people that charcoal isn't a great business, I'm thinking of making a retort....is this crazy?
Plan is to use an old self bunded oil tank with most of the base cut away. Then have a smaller single skin oil tank with screw bolt door internal to this that houses the wood. Have 2 x chimneys at either end of the internal tank. Each chimney has a butterfly valve with return ducting that can be used once VOCs produced.
All to be constructed on block work to get height for work and to allow 2 x fires to be lit underneath until closing of butterfly valves.
I'm worried that the steel might warp heavily but its heavy gauge as far as I can tell. I figure I can add/remove wood from the fire to control temperature and then use the butterfly valve for the same once VOCs. I'm wondering if I need to line fire chamber with kiln bricks, thoughts?
I'm also a little concerned about pressure build up and volatile gases...but think the butterfly valve can just be a little looser to allow self release?
Am I being crazy? I'm guessing this will cost about £1,000 and will make about 1000L of wood space = 250 L charcoal more or less.
Anyone got any thoughts? Also at the numbers above I'm happy to replace this every 3 years or so of required. If anything this will allow for new ideas and versions!
Cheers Dave