Which retort?!

Hi All,

This is my first ever post. I am looking at starting a charcoal business in the Midlands. I have 30 acres of woodland to manage and believe I can pick up management contracts for small tracts of wood around me. I've been looking at what is the best technology for charcoal production and believe it is between the Exeter retort 

and the Pressvess retort 

They're pretty similar on price but I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on their use? 

Also am I being crazy thinking I can make a profit running a successful charcoal business in the Midlands?! 

Many Thanks for any support

Dave 

Thoose double retorts are 22K?

Chinese version

WWW.ALIBABA.COM

China Good Quality Biochar Furnace Industrial Charcoal Making Kiln , Find Complete Details about China Good...

Hi and welcome

Think those are the only UK ones on the market. Not used either but seen them both up close so here is my ten pence worth.

The Exeter clearly works well but is relatively lightly built. Some people have incurred damage which has been rectifiable. Couldn't say the cause but the steel inner drum is directly exposed to the heat of the burning gases. 

The Pressvess appears to be built like a brick out house. The gasses are burnt in an insulated chamber and the heat is then circulated around the  charge chamber which is insulated so shouldn't be easily damaged. There is a good video on Youtube that shows the construction. 

Both clearly make a quality product with little waste. There are owners of both on here so you should get some first hand comments and not my ramblings ?

Thoose double retorts are 22K?

Chinese version

China-Good-Quality-Biochar-Furnace-Industrial-Charcoal.jpg WWW.ALIBABA.COM
China Good Quality Biochar Furnace Industrial Charcoal Making Kiln , Find Complete Details about China Good...  

I think I'm too cautious to go for this...maybe once I've got a good handle on the process and the business is booming (in my dreams not my business case!)
I also wanted mobile if possible
Thanks
Dave

Hi and welcome

Think those are the only UK ones on the market. Not used either but seen them both up close so here is my ten pence worth.

The Exeter clearly works well but is relatively lightly built. Some people have incurred damage which has been rectifiable. Couldn't say the cause but the steel inner drum is directly exposed to the heat of the burning gases. 

The Pressvess appears to be built like a brick out house. The gasses are burnt in an insulated chamber and the heat is then circulated around the  charge chamber which is insulated so shouldn't be easily damaged. There is a good video on Youtube that shows the construction. 

Both clearly make a quality product with little waste. There are owners of both on here so you should get some first hand comments and not my ramblings [emoji3]
That ties in with what my understanding is between the 2 both great but totally different. Fingers crossed some of the members can provide a defining reason.

Must admit I'm leaning to ths Exeter except as live in midlands pressvess is much closer and therefore could be better for aftercare