drill bit sharpeners

carlos

None of them will split the point properly and thin the web until you get to the £2k plus models. Fine for drilling wood, for metals you’re often better off learning to do it on a wheel. I can’t recommend a CBN wheel enough. 

Edited by doobin
  • Like 3

I've got a 'Drill Doctor' that was about £150. It does a pretty good job at creating the basic shape and the drills cut well afterwards. I couldn't get small drills anywhere near as good by hand, and won't develop the skill now either but that is fine.

Personally I would say split point is not essential if you pilot drill, we never had them years ago anyway.

It's worth learning hand sharpening. It's easier getting the rolling motions right on a big bit that you can see, once your muscles learn the motions it'll be natural on the small ones you're more likely to be using. It is possible to get one good enough by hand to grip in it's own hole vertically....... rare I find but worthy of a silly grin ??

cool thanks for the replys, i was thinking mainly cobalt metal bits.

ill dig out the bench grinder and give it a go, some of them couldnt get any worse!!.. il start with them.

i cant see myself spending hundreds on a sharpener, i could get a lot of new drill bits for my needs for that amount.

i guess ill have a look on youtube for a tutorial vid./

thanks again

carl

I had a real chuckle the other week, i was at a mates farm and there was some lads putting up a steel frame, everyone stood around, drills and bits everywhere, bolts all scattered, prob was needed to enlarge some holes, all bits broken or dull, i managed to sharpen a 20mm bit with an 4 inch angle grinder [emoji23], the looks of disbelief until they touched the rsj [emoji23], comments on here are right once you understand how it’s got to work and the muscle memory is learned you will be away, it took me a long time to fully appreciate what’s going on, but once understood it’s not forgotten [emoji106]

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1