robinia pseudoacacia close the property

vesna

Question

Hi,

Thank you all again for your very helpful advice to my previous query.

I was wondering what is your opinion on the tree surgeon’s  suggestion regarding  another tree- a very mature robinia pseudoacacia  in my neighbours’ garden but very close to my property (ab 4ft).  Both me and my neighbour would like to fell the tree (soft clay soil so shrinkage cause cracks to the building, it blocks light, leaves block drains, roots cause raising of patio slabs, etc ) but I am worried about potential land heave and effect on my extension.  The extension was built in c 1970 (not sure but was told by the previous owners) and the foundations are non-existent (30 cm of rubble).  The tree surgeon has suggested cutting the tree in stages and leaving ab 1 m of trunk for the time being. He claims that the roots of the tree will survive this but the tree will not be needing a lot of water and the trunk could be removed later. Will we not get a lot of suckers? What would you suggest? The tree was pollarded three years ago and the canopy is very thick now so we have even more leaves.

Thanks again.

20191106_072236_HDR.jpg

19 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Fix the extension: Perfect solution.
If the tree predates the build, then someone should have thought about it.

If your going to the trouble of fixing the building you may as well remove the tree for all the trouble it’s causing. At least that way it’s a permanent fix.  

Regardless of soil type and foundation depth - If the extension predates the tree then heave is not an issue. 

Who knows - felling may even fix the subsidence issues with no building work required. ?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Fix the extension: Perfect solution.
If the tree predates the build, then someone should have thought about it.

Never understood this attitude. You never taken a tree down after a house was built nearby?

It's a butchered acacia, just before we start mourning it

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

Never understood this attitude. You never taken a tree down after a house was built nearby?

It's a butchered acacia, just before we start mourning it

My point was that just about any vegetation growing next to a building will dessicate the soil beyond 300mm, even grass can delve 1500mm deep. So tree or no tree, there's likely to be an ongoing saga.

Edited by Mark J

18 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

It's bullshit Mick, makes no difference at all.

I'm not sure how anyone ever thought that it made any sense at all.  if you remove the tree the soil will recover if there is a persistent moisture deficit.  If you remove it in stages it will recover gradually but still to the same level.  Hence the same damage.    

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mark J said:

My point was that just about any vegetation growing next to a building will dessicate the soil beyond 300mm, even grass can delve 1500mm deep. So tree or no tree, there's likely to be an ongoing saga.

Soils can desiccate to 500mm with no vegetation present at all, just from the drying action of the sun.  If you really do have 300mm foundations then it may also be prone to settlement so may not be subsidence at all.  It would be worth doing some monitoring to find out.    

• Like 1

Hi All,

Thanks again for all you  suggestions. I am not worried about subsidence (cracks have been appearing and closing since I bought the property years ago so can live with them) but am concerned about heave if I remove it  completely. If I radically cut the trunk (let’s say remove ½ of it), will the tree survive?