robinia pseudoacacia close the property

vesna

Question

Hi,

Thank you all again for your very helpful advice to my previous query.

I was wondering what is your opinion on the tree surgeon’s  suggestion regarding  another tree- a very mature robinia pseudoacacia  in my neighbours’ garden but very close to my property (ab 4ft).  Both me and my neighbour would like to fell the tree (soft clay soil so shrinkage cause cracks to the building, it blocks light, leaves block drains, roots cause raising of patio slabs, etc ) but I am worried about potential land heave and effect on my extension.  The extension was built in c 1970 (not sure but was told by the previous owners) and the foundations are non-existent (30 cm of rubble).  The tree surgeon has suggested cutting the tree in stages and leaving ab 1 m of trunk for the time being. He claims that the roots of the tree will survive this but the tree will not be needing a lot of water and the trunk could be removed later. Will we not get a lot of suckers? What would you suggest? The tree was pollarded three years ago and the canopy is very thick now so we have even more leaves.

Thanks again.

20191106_072236_HDR.jpg

39 minutes ago, vesna said:

Hi,

Thank you all again for your very helpful advice to my previous query.

I was wondering what is your opinion on the tree surgeon’s  suggestion regarding  another tree- a very mature robinia pseudoacacia  in my neighbours’ garden but very close to my property (ab 4ft).  Both me and my neighbour would like to fell the tree (soft clay soil so shrinkage cause cracks to the building, it blocks light, leaves block drains, roots cause raising of patio slabs, etc ) but I am worried about potential land heave and effect on my extension.  The extension was built in c 1970 (not sure but was told by the previous owners) and the foundations are non-existent (30 cm of rubble).  The tree surgeon has suggested cutting the tree in stages and leaving ab 1 m of trunk for the time being. He claims that the roots of the tree will survive this but the tree will not be needing a lot of water and the trunk could be removed later. Will we not get a lot of suckers? What would you suggest? The tree was pollarded three years ago and the canopy is very thick now so we have even more leaves.

Thanks again.

20191106_072236_HDR.jpg

I felled one on my front lawn that was above gutter height and the stump regrew a new tree pretty fast . within 3 years had another just over head height so they coppice well .

Your tree surgeon is following the official line on how to prevent or minimise heave, so he’s not trying anything on.

Plenty of peeps doubt the efficacy of this method, but it won’t be causing any more damage.

I always advise poisoning the stumps of acacias, then grind (after a growing season) once you know it’s dead.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Your tree surgeon is following the official line on how to prevent or minimise heave, so he’s not trying anything on.

Plenty of peeps doubt the efficacy of this method, but it won’t be causing any more damage.

I always advise poisoning the stumps of acacias, then grind (after a growing season) once you know it’s dead.

Since when has that been the "official line."  Maybe in the 90's..

• Like 1

Not all clay soils are the same. The likelyhood of heave depends on soil conditions. Site investigations can analyse the soil. It may be that the shrink/swell potential of the soil at your property is relatively small.
As for phased reductions, as said, there's no point to them. If there was a pre-existing soil moisture deficit then it's just prolonging the inevitable.
I should add, if the foundations are that unsubstantial " and the foundations are non-existent (30 cm of rubble).", then sorting that would be a good idea, as anything that grows roots will grow below that depth.

Edited by Mark J
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

Not all clay soils are the same. The likelyhood of heave depends on soil conditions. Site investigations can analyse the soil. It may be that the shrink/swell potential of the soil at your property is relatively small.
As for phased reductions, as said, there's no point to them. If there was a pre-existing soil moisture deficit then it's just prolonging the inevitable.
I should add, if the foundations are that unsubstantial " and the foundations are non-existent (30 cm of rubble).", then sorting that would be a good idea, as anything that grows roots will grow below that depth.

Yea I was thinking a bit of underpinning would help . With those sort of " foundations " just mowing the daises off your lawn could cause heave !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, vesna said:

Thanks a lot Guys. I see there is no perfect solution due to many variables. I guess we will just  trim it again to minimise the risks

Fix the extension: Perfect solution.
If the tree predates the build, then someone should have thought about it.

Edited by Mark J